Jumpin' In Like Fiddlefye

dennisbrown

I've handled a couple, but since I always used either F=2's and F-3's, and had a nice battery of Nikkors. Since the price of these, and other film cameras have dropped, I've added cameras that were at the least duplicative of my Nikons. My local dealer had this original F-1 (produced ca. 1977), with a 50mm f/1.8 lens. It does have a bit of brassing where the strap rings are, but clean other than that.

One of the other things that's moved me to these older cameras, is the availability of PX-13 substitutes. I found an adapter that works with a 386 battery, and it should be here shortly. The meter may, or may not be off because it has a 625 battery substitute. However, using C-41 color or TMAX shouldn't be a disaster with their latitudes. I also have some other FD/FL lenses to use - 50mm f/1.4, 24mm f/2.8, and a Tokina 70-200 f4-f5.6 Zoom Macro.

816541894_CanonF-1.thumb.jpg.cafbd1ad69887e1eae16a5465a528019.jpg

• Like 2

Note to self

I will NOT collect Canons older than the A-series. NO, NEVER. No matter how interesting and attractive they are......:confused:

A few years back, I "dumped" my favorite walk-around cameras, the Yashica Electro 35 GSN and GTN, for the very same reason. No more mercury cells, and the replacements just weren't for me. However, a visit to a Yashica web site, and I found a man in Florida who makes a very nice converter cell, that fits, and works perfectly. I bought two more (GSN, GTN), just to enjoy again.

I thought as you, no cameras that need mercury cells. With the substitutes that generate constant 1.35v, I've become a "born again" GAS member. I may even find a decent Nikon Photomic now.

Nice! There is something very special about the original F-1. The function is great, but the feel... oh, my. Trip that lovely shutter release and the sound is music. I stopped by to visit my tech today (my F-1/50 f1.4 will be next on the bench) and played with it for a bit. I own or have owned most of the top 35mm SLRs fro the 60s and 70s at some point and the F-1 just has a unique thing going on that I really like. I'm looking forward to having it out of the spa and loaded with film very soon!

• 2 weeks later...