I converted JPEG files & saved them as TIFF files on disc so that I

could have the files printed to 16 x 20 at the local pro shop.After

doing this I can no longer open these files in Photoshop. I get the

message could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid

JPEG marker type is found.I can open the files directly off the disc.

Any help will be welcome.

Perhaps the file extension doesn't match the file content (e.g., .JPG on a .TIF file). Photoshop has an interesting function, "Open As", which allows you to try opening the file as different types without changing the file extension.

Your work flow is a little strange. You are better to keep your master files (the one's you edit) in TIFF format, and copy them to sRGB JPEG files to send off for printing. Even if you shoot in JPEG, convert them to TIFF before anything else (and tuck the originals away, untouched, as your "digital negatives").

Files are automatically write-protected on a CD. This tag is hardly needed, since Photoshop can't write to a CD anyway. Photoshop has no difficulty opening "locked" files from a disk, CD, DVD or whatever. However, you have to save any changes to a hard drive.

Perhaps I don't understand your problem. What do you mean by "I can open the files directly off the disc." [Nomenclature - disk=hard drive or floppy, disc=optical medium] Can you still open the original JPEG files? Can you open the TIFF conversions still on the hard drive?

EDWARD; If I use the disc,with the files,into my D drive they can be opened if either jpeg or tiff. They cannot be opened in photoshop. Photoshop shows a locked symbol. I realise that I have to change my 'workflow' but I would like to retrieve these files.I experimented with saving files & found that if,when saving, I entered save as a tiff & then changed the file number extension from jpeg to tiff all is well.I would have thought that by entering save as tiff would have automatically changed the file number extension.Perhaps I should reconsider the mysteries of the Zone system? On the other hand could I have a conflict with other Adobe products? My problem 'seemed' to start after I upgraded Adobe reader to version 7!