Johsel Namkung at Seattle Art Museum

photo5

I just saw an exhibit of photos by Johsel Namkung at the Seattle Art Museum today. Most photos were

taken with a Sinar 4x5 camera. I hadn't ever heard of him before, but his landscapes blew me away.

The prints are all incredible in their detail and color. One image in particular really caught my

attention. The detail seemed to jump off the photo paper as if it were a painting. I actually looked at

the image from an angle to see if it was. It wasn't of course.

One thing that all of his images shared was that none had the horizon line. You can't see the sky. That

is something I usually don't think about, but his images were powerful in that sense.

I wish I could share a larger version of the photo with you. The one below is his image that looked very

3D in the large reproduction at the Seattle Art Museum.

If you are in or near Seattle, I highly recommend stopping in to take a look at his images. As the

downtown location is currently under renovation, the exhibit is up at the Volunteer Park location,

normally the Asian Art Museum. $5.00 admission for adults, students $2.50.

I am not an employee or in any way affiliated with SAM, I am just a satisfied visitor.

The info from the phot below is: Johsel Namkung, Sherman Pass, WA, August 13, 1993, digital

chromogenic laser print, 48 x 60 in. ᄅ Johsel Namkung

Dave<div>00HJ9g-31198384.jpg.ac7af9ac823a6500769b4d3f4bca09c2.jpg</div>

I've seen the catalogue from the show and it's stunning. It actually includes several more images than appear in the show.

Mr. Namkung is a very senior photographer with a fascinating background -- he was originally a musician -- and has a wonderful perspective on life and image-making. I'd love to see the actual show and would encourage anyone within reach of Seattle to do so.

"One thing that all of his images shared was that none had the horizon line. You can't see the sky. That is something I usually don't think about, but his images were powerful in that sense."

That's a practice John Sexton follows as well. Few of his photographs have any significant amount of sky in them. It sure eliminates a lot of excess contrast problems.

Thanks I'll drop by this week or so and view the images. Did you have a chance to see the

Burke Museum exhibition of wildlife photography? There were several from LF photographers

with the rest, mostly digital (being more a young photographers exhibit) and some film

photographers

This show ends August 6th, so if you can find the time to see it, I highly recommend it. All

the images in the books or on the web can't describe seeing them in large prints, often

3x5 or 4x6 feet, one being about 6x12 feet. But what's more interesting is the images are

about a way of seeing. They're visually striking in the subject's form and muted colors,

pieces of a landscape instead of expansive views. Also, SAM, as usual, does an excellent

job of providing the space to properly view the prints. And SAM and Volunteer Park is a

great place to wander around.

It's interesting that some of the better photographers aren't photographers by careers or

education, but by experience, coming from other fields to use photography to

demonstrate their view of the world. This is true of Johel Namkung. He makes you rethink,

and wonder what you've missed in the small things.

--Scott--