Johnny Dufort

charbry

Im not sure if anyone here is familiar with the fashion photographer Johnny Dufort, he seems to shoot with a ring flash or perhaps just an on camera flash but I cant figure it out, can anyone see what he seems to be doing lighting wise? I could be overthinking it and if so I apologise for the naive question.

@johnnydufort on Instagram: “@dazed unpublished styled by @haleywollens”

@johnnydufort on Instagram: “@reeditionmag styled by @lottavolkova photography #johnnydufort”

@johnnydufort on Instagram: “@reeditionmag issue #9 Styled by @lottavolkova Photographed by me #johnnydufort with @jarnoparkkima @astastensson @elsasjokvist…”

many thanks

Looks to me like it may be using flash with a slower shutter speed. That often creates that sort of tight, outline shadow effect and a bit of an otherworldly character due to the slight blur. For instance, in the second photo you link to above, notice the blurriness of the face of the woman on all fours and her boots as well.
  • Like 1
There’s always something new under the sun.

I went through all three images a couple of time, but I don't find the effect very interesting. I don't find much distinction between the images and regular snapshots taken with flash. Is there something behind the images that I am missing here?

Supriyo, for me it's a too-subtle use of flash with movement so it doesn't have much of an effect.

I experimented around with doing this a while back and liked going a bit more extreme, with certain subject matter. This was one of my favorites from that period. This was shot at 1.3 seconds at f13. I like the way it heightens colors and makes them somewhat unreal and makes the blur and shadowing a little more corporeal than usual.

m-staley-SUPERHERO-ww.thumb.jpg.23d8984a0b0049c62736aae18738a2dc.jpg

• Like 1
There’s always something new under the sun.

Supriyo, for me it's a too-subtle use of flash with movement so it doesn't have much of an effect.

I experimented around with doing this a while back and liked going a bit more extreme, with certain subject matter. This was one of my favorites from that period. This was shot at 1.3 seconds at f13. I like the way it heightens colors and makes them somewhat unreal and makes the blur and shadowing a little more corporeal than usual.

[ATTACH=full]1277792[/ATTACH]

Yes, this is what I can understand as creative use of flash, a nude figure with a ethereal glow that is in deep contrast with the homely background he was shot in.

The OP's example images are just too subtle to have any impact. I think, the proportion of flash intensity to ambient light might have been too weak. I also like when the flash is fired at close quarter and from a low angle, which creates all these creases and caverns in the face giving a special character. This can also be combined with the effect you showed by slow shutter speed and small aperture. May be I will try an experiment in this angle and see what it gives. I like some of Bruce Gilden's work with flash.