John Shaw's Business of Nature Photography

bill_meyer

This is an excellent book. There is alot of good information on how to set up your office as well as what to do once it is set up. It is also a bit of a reality check for those photographers who are considering trying to make a living in photography while shooting only a few weeks a year.

I would highly recommend it to anyone, professional or not, who wants to submit images to photo editors in hopes of being published.

John Shaw is an incredible photographer whose camera is a mere extension of his imagination. The book clearly demonstrates that he also has a total command of photography as a business. Considering the source, it is definetly worthwhile reading.

<p>

I agree with Mark. The book is a reality check for the non-professional. I'm glad I have an excellent day job.

I just finished the book and can recommend it. Shaw gets right to the point with candid advice. He does a great service to anyone considering turning professional in this business, by making it clear that lots of us can make pretty pictures, but very few can put bread on the table doing it. Don't print those business cards until you read it.

• 1 year later...

It's true he is a great teacher and photogragher. I have noticed a contridiction in his writing though, he say's that he will do anything to maintain his position of staying on top in the nature photo world and has a dream that all his competion would handhold their camera's and use 1000 speed film pushed up a couple of stop's. Then he write's some of most indepth book's written on how to be competitive in the market place.If you truly have the desire to make a go of it then this book can be a useful tool, but don't get caught up in it , just do it.

dkt.