Joe McNally Da Grip

paul_soohoo2

<p>Joe McNally has this interesting video on holding a camera steady at:<br /><br />

<p>Looks interesting but my stock D300 does not reach my left eye (Note: he says early on in the video this technique works best if you are left eyed.<br /><br />What camera body is he using in the video and is it substantially taller than my stock D300 (I do not have a vertical grip on my body ) which allows the eyepiece to reach his eye? Is this technique reserved for bodies with a vertical grip attached which gives you the extra height you need??</p>

<p>Does anybody use this method? Have to say I've never seen anyone shoot this way but if I could get an extra stop the way Mr. McNally claims I'd do it in a heartbeat. </p>

<p>He is using a D3. If it works for him that is great. It would not work for me. You need to learn what works best for you. I keep my elbows in on my chest. Work with bone support and not muscle. Also as a sports shooter who uses long lenses a lot a good monopod is a must. Myself with a wide lens like a 14mm 1/10th of a second is very doable. For something longer say 50mm 1/10th is pushing the envelope.<br>

If I have to shoot that slow with something like a 50 I shoot bursts. It gives me a much better chance of a sharp shot with out camera movement.<br>

YMMV</p>

<p>Hi Paul,<br>

The principles of his technique are sound but not everyone has the same anatomy - I'm 6'2", left-eyed, and there's no way I can use his method - I'd need to lose a couple of vertebrae in my neck.<br>

I do keep a firm stance with my centre of gravity over my feet and when the situation demands slow shutter speeds I can use the strap in the same way a sling is used to steady a rifle.<br>

Or a tripod. Or a monopod, wall, tree, fence, doorway...<br>

Not being a press photographer or football fan I almost never find myself in a crush of people intent on ruining my shot.</p>