Jobo ATL-1500 + Jobo temperature control +++

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by larry_luckham, Sep 5, 2020.

1. P1060251.JPG P1060246.JPG I have a Jobo ATL-1500 processor, Jobo temperature control panel with pre-filtration, numerous tanks, reels, and other stuff, including some chemistry that I am no longer able to use. Iā€™m wondering if there is any market for this and if there is what is the reasonable value?

P1060252.JPG

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  2. I'm thinking something like $1,950. Does that sound about right?

3. Tanks and reels are universal for almost any Jobo system. They have some value but the ATL-1500 is so expensive in spare parts that no hobbyist will invest in it. In Europe they have been thrown away the last 10-15 years by many mini-labs.

4. Sounds like the whole setup might be the basis for a small home business - riding the wave of current film popularity and dearth of custom processing houses.

However, I suspect it'll be a short-lived wave.

You'd have to do quite a lot of bespoke processing to recoup an outlay of 2000 bucks though.

5. That's a bit surprising. There is not so much to go bad that can't either be replaced as a stock part, or reproduced by a 3D printer. Perhaps some parts of Europe are a bit different but I have family in the Czech Republic that could do that and a neighbor in California who has just 3D printed a replacement for a door part for his Mercedes Sprinter van.

6. Given the scarcity of reliable film processing these days you might be surprised at how quickly one could earn back. I know people still very committed to transparencies. I gave that up some time ago and in recent years stuck with B&W shooting on film and then scanning and printing digitally.

7. I suspect it would be a struggle to make a decent profit against the current ridiculous cost of buying quality chemicals in small quantities.

I was lucky to have a local supplier of C-41 chemistry at a reasonable cost. His processing chemicals were actually better than all but Kodak's own, and much cheaper. Unfortunately he died and his business died with him - no more quality C-41 at a reasonable cost.

Then there's the cost of advertising, buying mailers, shipping, etc. etc. It all adds up and it's easy to either short-change yourself or price yourself out of business.

So making a quick return? I'm doubtful.

8. With added details (C-41) I have to agree. And, that's one of the reasons that virtually all professional photographers are now working only in digital. I think that where film and chemical processing comes in is in B&W simply because it is difficult to impossible to get the same quality in digital printing to match good quality, high silver, fiber prints.

rodeo_joe|1 likes this.
  9. Absolutely!
    A definite +1 to that.
    Although after I stopped darkroom colour printing, the b*st*rds hiked the price of ink cartridges so much that I costed my darkroom prints to have been cheaper to produce.