Jerry rig a Bessa 6x4.5 mask??

dothesteve

Hello Stephen

I have a, what I think, a Bessa I, 6x9 purchased on *bay in a very good condition. It has a Compur (3 leafs) shutter and a F4.5 Triplett lens. The camera may have used rarely because the film badge (sticker) inside is still there. The camera did not come with a 4.5x6 mask, but it is forseen for that. So, I do have the same problem as you. There is not a lot of space for a mask inside and it should not hurt the bellows. I am still puzzleing on that. Regards,

• 1 month later...

OK, so I've finally seen a picture of the mask--looks like stamped metal and CURVED. Man, what a pain that would be to reproduce. Even so, if I ever get my hands on one, I'll see about replicating it. Amazing what you can get done at the local metal shop if you bring over a six pack on a hot day.

As for your camera, Roland, sounds like an older model; Bessa I or II has name in plain view. I've got an old Bessa I but I'm disenchanted with the engineering of the lens standard, it seems a bit rickety. Bessa II seems more promising. I'm guessing you're in Germany, so you've got a much better resource for these cameras. Good luck!

• 2 months later...
I have one of the much sought 6x4.5 masks that, much to my surprise, was included with the Bessa (non RF) I bought recently. The mask is not curved, but made from very thin, flexible metal with tabs on each side that slot into the body. There is also 2 small ridges or bumps (on the top left and lower right) that push a small lever on the camera back (when closed) that exposes the 6x4.5 counting window, rather than the 6x9 window. Very simple, but very clever!

• 9 months later...
  • 13 years later...
I have one of the much sought 6x4.5 masks that, much to my surprise, was included with the Bessa (non RF) I bought recently. The mask is not curved, but made from very thin, flexible metal with tabs on each side that slot into the body. There is also 2 small ridges or bumps (on the top left and lower right) that push a small lever on the camera back (when closed) that exposes the 6x4.5 counting window, rather than the 6x9 window. Very simple, but very clever!

The Counter-mechanisme to push down to get double amount of exposures is on upper right corner. there is no pin inside which is mentioned above. i have the Bessa I with Vaskar 105/4.5 Prontor-S. also have accidentally bough earlier the right rangefinder(MUST HAVE). Pity only one hotshor- Only the case is lacking its top...I also have a very fine more that 35 years old double bubblelevel by Linhof named Prominent. one can see both levels from behind and the right side. Just bought, no shots taken yet. thinking about shooting panorama, finding the right tripod-holder to center and find the right center of rotation-Where is it? Viewfinder is almost blind. So i would need an external one. What kind of. maybe adapting Smartphone/Phablet simulating the angle. 2x zoom could match. 2x 36mm=52mm.

Maybe better opening new thread with all my questions, right?

Edited by michael_przewrocki|2

Hobby stores such as Hobby Lobby and Michaels have sheets of various thicknesses of brass shim stock--most under $10. Amazon has it as well, see here:

https://www.amazon.com/Unpolished-Finish-Temper-SAE-CA-QQ-B-613/dp/B00CNLVK3U

Using a metal rule and Exacto knife, you can cut your own masks. Be sure to carefully sand all edges--internal and external--with 600-800 grit sandpaper prior to use. A bit of flat black spray paint finishes the project... :cool:

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!