Jeanloup Sieff: "40 years of Photography"

nels

Recently got this book, an excellent collection of B/W prints, many of them

done with a Leica M + 21mm lens.

<p>

The brief commentary beneath each picture is usually funny, witty, and

informative. The print quality and binding are both first rate. The pictures

are very elegant, creative, and superbly composed.

<p>

You can get an idea about the types of pictures at his <a

href="http://www.jeanloupsieff.com/"><b>site</b></a>, but there is really no

substitute for the book. Check it out.

I have had this book since its publication; much of Sieff's work is shown. Many do not know that Jeanloup Sieff was a master darkroom technician, who printed his own images. Sieff used different focal length lenses, but is known as the master of the 21.

C'est super, Monsieur Jean-Loup! Thanks to Nels. Will try to find this book.

The minimal mid tones, consequence of his choice of lighting and exposure,

flies against the conventional zone system landscapes. Rather like, but then

unlike, the best Konica IR pictorials I've seen elsewhere. It works better than

more realistic monochrome tones would. The mood is great. His portrait de

Sartre is surprising, an existentialist visualised, and that of Jane Fonda, quite

striking, a minimalist communication of beauty. Merci!

Just one more post to concur about the book. I found a perfect copy in a used book store a couple of years ago and it is often open on my coffee table.

It is broken down by decades, starting in the 1950s with many square photos, transitioning into the rectangle of 35mm. Nice informal portraits, fine candids, and terrific nudes fill this book.

Do seek it out.

Thanks Nels for posting this thread.

I bought this book today (at B&N) and was amazed that it only costs $24.99 for such a beautiful edition. When I first took the book from the shelf, I was sure it would be at least $50.00. I have looked through all the photos but haven't read the text yet. Really an excellent book by a great photographer.

Gordon

I truly wish publishers would bring out similar new editions of other good photographers' works that is now hard to find and long out of print.

Most recently, I paid over $100 for Bill Brandt's book by Bill Jay, and a similar amount for Moriyama's "71-NY". One of Wynn Bullock's books wasn't much cheaper either. I'm sure there are many other good photographers that I haven't heard of, partly or mostly due to lack of availability of their work.

It's time to consolidate long dead or almost dead good photographers' works into one comprehensive volume (a la Stieglitz - though I doubt many would reach his status and productivity) so we don't have to keep looking for different titles by each of them.

For me, this Sieff book also passes the test of being just on the right side of good size. For the most part, I like oversize photo books. Documentary work is ok being printed small, such as Delahaye's "Winterreise". But when it comes to Helmut Newton, someday I want to get that "Sumo".