Javier's & Miserere's sites

guy_gervais

<p>Javier had issues about the way he was treated by the higher ups in this forum so he just left. A shame because he was always great to listen to, hear from, and especially to see his latest work. He was a fearless street shooter, sticking his camera in areas where you or I would probably get bopped in the nose. The result is some great shots of the other world along Sunset Blvd and other glitzy/tawdry streets in L.A.</p>

<p>Wayne:</p>

<p>I haven't posted here for quite some time but I did enjoy Javier's street shots a lot.<br>

Too bad he decided to leave P.Net.</p>

<p>As for being "fearless", if I recall of Javier's physical description (by himself, here a while back) I was under the impression that it would be enough to deter anyone risking to tell him off!<br>

This is something I would never dare trying myself ... hardly 5'6" and skinny!!! They'd likely take a run at me!</p>

<p>Cheers.</p>

<p>JP</p>

<p>I never Javier so I know nothing of his physical presence but I think his success at street photography is more than that. I think Javier is very engaging with his subjects. Probably not in all cases but often I believe he talks to his subject, either before or after he shoots them, and has the ability to make the personal contact more meaningful than the photography. I also don't think we can underestimate the fact that this is L.A. where people are probably used to seeing people walking around with cameras shoot everything and everyone.</p>

"He was a fearless street shooter, sticking his camera in areas where you or I would probably get bopped in the nose."

Actually looking at his work, I see mostly photos taken in broad daylight in busy commercial districts and tourist areas. That's not a criticism of the quality of his work, but the areas where he shoots aren't especially perilous.

<p>Javier's photos usually put a smile on my face, especially those of the women. He clearly loves women and it showed in their reaction to him (well - sometimes he got the stink eye, but not often). His humanity was evident in all of his shots. I do miss his pictures and commentary on this forum.</p>

<p>Javier never really shot in bad areas. His shots are mostly Hollywood Boulevard and on Broadway (and other busy streets in old downtown LA) I believe. I've walked those same streets. Not to dangerous. In fact, what I recall Javier saying is that he on occasion found himself in sketchy parts of town but tended to avoid it. In fact, I shot down in a sketchy part of town and he told me to be careful. I am not sure that Javier ever talked to his subjects after shooting, but this is just speculation on my part. I think what makes Javier's photos so interesting (and so much better than my street photos) is that he has nailed to aspects: Storytelling and the decisive moment. </p>

<p>I know Javier had posted on here before that when he took pictures of homeless or down-on-their-luck subjects, he would talk with them before or after, and often buy them a sandwich or something. As for the ladies and other wild characters, I believe his technique is mainly to be obvious about what he is doing and smile directly at people. I don't think I could pull it off!</p>