November? Are full frame shots/portraits possible/likely with longer

lenses? Any particular restrictions or important notes about the

area? (ie. hours open, can you get in at first light, etc) How

acclimated to humans are the cranes?

I am considering a possible weekend drive from Michigan this year to

visit JP - but need more info to determine if it would be worthwhile,

photographically speaking.

Mark,

I don't know what's going on over there...I just walked in the door a few hours ago from a U.P. trip and am now packing for SW Florida...anyway, the deal with J.P. is that you need BIG glass... the cranes are visible, however, talking 'frame-filling'shots will NEVER happen without a 400, MINIMUM (and you'd have to be damn lucky to do it with that animal). I live 35 minutes from there and shoot with a 600/4 and 1.4x. The cranes are mostly located in farmfields surrounding the actual 'JP' property itself...as is always, on the property at sun-up/sun-down (1hr. after and post respectively). There are usually craploads of these things by the watchtower...in a field to the west and RARELY get close!!! If you go, travel the backroads, through the property and to the north of the tower, there is a road that heads back to the east...take that road to the following 2 LEFTs and travel those roads in the early a.m. Back on one of those roads...believe it's the first one and about half-way down, there is a HUGE pond in the morning that I like to shoot at...GET THERE BEFORE 5:45 in the a.m. to do yourself well...bring a portable blind and pick a spot...I don't know what you shoot with, however, pushing E200 with the 100-400 IS lens does me fine in the morning...nice shots of FLOCKS of the birds trapsing away from the property and out for another day to feed in the fields. There are also some Owls that call that place home...the real pain-in-the-ass is that there is a shooting range on the westernmost property and when some of these people really get to whackin' targets, the birds scatter...reason that I say this is that there are a few good fields near the range and I have had more than one shot blown (NO PUN INTENDED) by someone who opens-up on a bullseye with an M-14. If ya need anything else, just HOLLAR!!! Happy Shootin'!!!