Japanese metal, Canadian color and American Farm - Yashica 44

<p>Yashica 44 was introduced in 1958 by Yashima company. Some say that it was a response to Germany's baby Rollei and when you compare both, gray Yashica 44 and Baby Rollei they look very much alike. Yashica has offered these cameras in many cool colors, Rose, Blue to name some. Originally Yashica 44 came out with crank advance mechanism that was not coupled with the shutter, meaning, the shutter needed to be cocked separately from the film advance (unlike its big sister Mat). When film was loaded the #1 frame was aligned with the red window in the back and from there the advance mechanism would take care of spacing, just like older Rollei. Later models Yashica 44A came out with knob advance and red window where you aligned next frame number. 44 even featured light meter at one point in life and it was named Yashica 44 LM. I own 3 of those little beauties. One 44A in Rose and Gray and Yashica 44 in Gray. Blue ones are hard to find.<br>

Since 127 was discontinued in 2012, I lost hope for ever using my 44's again, until I read about Frugal Photographer. They are a distributor for Canadian film manufacturer and they sell the product as BlueFire Murano 160 ISO color film. I got few rolls of that and decided to give me 44 a go.<br>

We took a drive to a local farm to pick some fresh strawberries and enjoy some fresh air. I shot a roll of the color film and here are the results. First up are my wife and kids picking the berries. </p><div>00cgDN-549463184.jpg.6f5cf407b5ee2db9e17a04ff14e87533.jpg</div>

<p>Kris, congratulations. I like these shots, because they show the potential of a good triplet lens. Even at screen resolution, I think the 'drawing' looks different from what you'd get with your usual Gauss lens. You had a diffused-light day, and the contrast isn't too strong, particularly off-center. The shadows look like they're full of light. Together with the Murano film, which is ostensibly Portra, the skin tones look great. This would be a great combination for photographing people, and I bet it makes women look excellent.</p>

<p>I use a TLR with Portra and XP2 for backpacking, because it's a lightweight and robust solution. I've thought about trying 127 film, because it would save a pound, but then I've decided against it, for the expected reasons. It's still something I keep in the back of my mind. It would be great if Ilford sold FP4 in 127, but I doubt if that's ever going to happen again.</p>

<p>So many nice little 127 rollfilm cameras, and obviously the Yashica 44 is one of the better ones. Nice images,<strong> Kris</strong>: all power to Bluefire for coming up with this product; they claim that it's "The first 127 film to be manufactured in North America since 1995" and I guess that's fair enough, even if it's generally accepted that it's cut down Portra NC160, as Dave S. and John mention. However, I know there was a lot of work involved in sourcing the backing paper and actually getting the product sorted, so I'd agree the claim is justified. Now you can try Rollei Redbird/Nightbird, the only other 127 films I know of, if you like red pictures... I should have stocked up on the B&W Efke 127 while there was still some around. Thanks for a pictorial post.</p>

A fine series that showcases just how well the 60mm Yashikor is capable of performing! I have one of these gems, a grey

44A. I've never run color through it, although that may change once my stash of Efke R100 and expired VP dwindles to

nothing. A shame that no one around makes B&W 127 now. Anyway, nicely done!

<p>What a pretty little TLR, and the lens has a great signature, especially in the oof areas, much like the Zeiss Triotar. I have a grey Baby Rollei, and your camera looks every bit as good. Portra is probably the best CN film ever made, and I wonder how long it will last for.<br>

We get so used to oversaturated Digital images that the muted colours from an old lens and soft colour film are a real treat.</p>