Japanese 35mm SLR Brands

Being the sad old git that I am, the other day I sat down and made a list of all the Japanese 35mm SLR brands I could think of - I counted 20 (why Japanese? Well, why not?)

Nikon Canon Minolta Pentax Olympus (the big 5)

Ricoh

Fujica & Konica Chinon & Cosina Yashica & Mamiya (these 6 are paired together in my mind for some reason)

Miranda Topcon Petri Aires Kowa

Sigma

Soligor Vivitar (if these are considered to be makers rather than brand names)

Any that I've forgotten? Or any comments?

Yashima (Osanon 750; rare)

If you include house brands, there were European labels such as Revueflex and Porst (rebranded Chinon/Cosina cameras), plus Alpa Si2000, Si3000

USA store brands such as Quantaray (Cima Kogaku?), Focal (Petri), Sears (Ricoh, Mamiya), Wards (Konica), etc.

Edited by m42dave

Thanks for the replies, that's interesting. To be honest, I was thinking more in terms of manufacturers, and using the word brands in the title has open up something of a can of worms, in terms of the many house names and branding quirks. For example I've got a nice Nikkorex F which was actually made by Mamiya. Plenty of different makes in the UK were sold by Dixons under their Prinz and Prinzflex marques. So it goes.

Makinon (Makina Optical), the third party lens maker, had a couple of K-mount SLRs I remember seeing listed in the 80s (though I don't recall seeing them in the shops). The Makinon Mk-V is a conventional SLR, similar to Cosina models of the time and quite possibly built by them.

Makina Optical - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

The Makinon Mk-III is a bit of an oddity, and there's very little information on it online. Unusually for a manual focus SLR, it has a built-in flash:

https://photoqueen.gr/image/cache/data/IMG1986-500x500.jpeg

Here it is with a 'Porsche' badge:

I Shoot Film

It looks a bit like the Fujica ST-F (later copied as the Greatwall PF-1). However, the ST-F is a fixed lens camera.