January Eagles

joe_nash1

hey nothing wrong with those given the equipment. keep up the good work they will get better. And if they don't as long as you are enjoying the chase that's all that matters.

many a day have I spent hunkered down by a pond trying to get a decent shot of some silly duck that knew I was there and didn't feel like smiling for the nut with the camo bag over his head!

Hi Joe

I like the uncropped shot that you posted first. I'm not a wildlife photographer but I think seeing the environment around the subject is important so not every wildlife shot has to be a super close up like the ones often shown on the front page of photo.net.

I like the fact that your shot shows a relashionship between the birds and shows that they live in a group.

A well known wildlife photographer here in the UK called Andy Rouse was interviewed recently about his work. He said he spent many years getting as close as possible to his subjects but now he feels a wider shot showing the animals surroundings is just as important.

Best regards

David Thrower

When I lived in SE Alaska, the local dump was the best place to watch eagles (and bears) up close. Many miles hiking and hours in boats never saw a single bear or eagle as close as when they were eating scraps. Dump was terrible background for photos, but that's why we have photoshop now ;) I agree with David's assessment about seeing the "whole picture."

Thanks guys, Eagles are quite prevalent around the area this time of the year. I live in the Moline/Rock Island/Davenport/Bettendorf area called the Quad Cities. This is the only are where the Mississippi runs East to West. Anyway, the Eagles just love this area, and you can get pretty close to them.

At a total of 420mm, I knew I would be a little short possibly, but I think my weak link in the set up was the Vivitar 2X piece. Sure wish I had one of those 400L f2.8 with matching converter!