James Nachtwey wounded in Iraq

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from another report:

"Weisskopf was severely wounded when he apparently climbed onto the hood of a Humvee and attempted to throw back the grenade. Witnesses said his actions most likely saved lives. Nachtway was less severely injured. Time said both were in stable condition and were awaiting transfer to a U.S. military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany."

Stephen

I don't think Bush can end this conflict. Even if the foreign troops left there would probably be civil war. Saddam has to be removed and WITH the help of all those other Arab nations who are just sitting around watching what's going on, the Iraqi's can eventually move on from this situation.

I really don't think Bush is in control anymore.

Regards

Bruno

The timing for this is very hard for me. Yesterday, I spent several hours in the photography Museum in my town looking at over a hundred Natchtway prints from his traveling show. The prints were very hard to look at at times due to the subject matter, but the photography was so strong. Having only seen most of these shots in books, the large framed prints were quite impressive.

As for Weisskopf, the NBC nightly news just reported he lost his hand when throwing the grenade out of the Humvee.

Hopes for a quick recovery for both.

If you watch the documentary, War Photographer, you will see that Nachtway is at least on his ninth life. There is footage of a riot in South Africa when a South African policeman discharged his weapon into a wall, killing the cameraman right next to Nachtway. One of the bullets appears to literally part Nachtway's hair. As I understand, this injury is a shrapnel wound to the gut and though painful is not going to be life threatening. Weisskopf lost his hand but is also going to recover, albeit without his hand - a loss particularly sharply felt by a writer to be sure (his right hand, the one with which he writes.) They are in a military hospital now and will be flown out to Germany on Saturday. You can probably send wishes of health to Nachtway's photo agency, VII - http://www.viiphoto.com/, and of course to Weisskopf at Time - they will be appreciated I am sure.

Buy Nachtwey's new book, Inferno, available at www.photoeye.com. The prints are excellent.

What is the purpose of buying the DVD and books? Is it for entertainment? Something to watch while sitting on the overstuffed sofa and sipping the single malt? Or does it change your life? If so, in what way. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm trying to understand. I see a lot of powerful images that are thought provoking, but after a while they become part of the streaming video of life, and it's back to the usual stuff. The images become part of the cranial library. Nothing more. Maybe I'm shallow.