J. R. R. Tolkein interest -

I came across this old slide the other day:

Final.thumb.jpg.9f9e42b0a2964968ba087bff2940e6ab.jpg

It features what are supposed to be the inspiration for J. R. R. Tolkein's "The Two Towers"

In the foreground is Perrott's Folly an C18th tower featuring a series of small hexagonal rooms connected by a steep staircase. Its purpose for being built is open to surmise.

Beyond it, to the left, can be seen the top of the other tower. An ornate Victorian construction (1870) that's part of Edgbaston waterworks.

This was taken many years ago, and this view of the two towers is no longer available. A small block of houses has been built on the grassy site, and tall surrounding trees also obscure the view.

Any no-longer-to-be-seen items of interest in your collection?

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 5

The Ship Inn in Soar Lane, Leicester, once a great stop off for bike rides, now sadly gone, swept away by redevelopment of the whole area. It was in nearly original condition too, couldn't they have tweaked the plans sslightly to keep it? Shot with an M.P.P Microcord.

Ship.thumb.jpg.d662a8fc6cbd44a332a8f80956cc2957.jpg

Not far away on either side of the Soar are the tower of the Space Centre, and the old Wolsey factory water tower. Both are still there but the area around the water tower has been redeveloped for housing.

My take on The Two Towers:

1322267863_TheTwoTowers.thumb.jpg.005173a754785cc3a37d9c1ba28bd58a.jpg

• Like 5

2144641416_K36401-140_2502-TONY0921-Jay.thumb.jpg.d208781eff038437794fe7057649a19f.jpg

Three days after taking this shot, from my window, the tree on which the Jay is perching

was cut down - in the middle of the breeding season. Environmental Protection at the

Council were informed - and did predictably nothing. Not even a reply to my letter.

Sadly, when the tree trunk was cut down, an error on the part of the vandals meant

that it fell on top of, and demolished, their garden shed.

Instant Karma

• Like 5

I first read The Lord of the Rings in 1967. Yes the films, although they did a pretty good job of telling the basic story, omitted many parts of the books, such as the Tom Bombadil episode. And left out the all the stories, songs and legends which gave the books their richness and depth.
  • Like 4

I first read The Lord of the Rings in 1967. Yes the films, although they did a pretty good job of telling the basic story, omitted many parts of the books, such as the Tom Bombadil episode. And left out the all the stories, songs and legends which gave the books their richness and depth.

Surely Tom Bombadil was a central, if not pivotal character ? He was the one character on whom the ring had no effect - and not only that, he could see characters who were wearing it.

• Like 1

The films beautifully expanded on the love interest between Aragorn and Arwen. Eowyn's unrequited attraction for him was also well done. The casting was perfect. When Viggo Mortensen was contacted about playing Aragorn he had no previous knowledge of Tolkien's works. His son had to excitedly convince him to take the role. I must agree that the books were better than the films though. The last two of the three Hobbit screen versions were a disgrace however. I lost all respect for Peter Jackson after that.
  • Like 2
A book's a great place to hide out in - Trevanian

In my view, even the stated love interest was better represented in the books, as you had to interpret everything in the light of your own experiences (or lack thereof), so it became more personal. The films merely represented the director's version of everything which was only hinted at on the printed page. And I agree 100% about the Hobbit films - he took a book about adventure and self-exploration, and turned into yet another (yawn) Hollywood Blockbuster. Fine for the accountants (or Auditors of Reality), but, I feel, less so for the more mature discriminating audience.

Mind you, the scenery was impressive in all the films - as Janice Nicholls said 'I like the backing'.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...