IX Nikkors on D70?

vivek iyer

I have bought some IX Nikkors for the chips in them.

I am wondering if anyone has actually tried any of these

on a D-70 (real experiences?)?

(Some plastic jutting out in the back has to be removed before an IX

Nikkor can be mounted to take pictures so that it will allow the

morror to clear)

Vivek.

Hi Vivek.

The IX lenses are made to use the Nikon F mount, but have a limted image circle - just enough to cover an APS image, so Nikon made them with a deep plastic collar that prevents you from mounting them on a 35mm camera body. You can (carefully) cut this plastic collar off. Here is a link to someone who did it:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2_PC.html

Scroll down the web page for the IX lens comment.

It probably isn't worth doing it because the IX lenses were made for amatuer use, not for professionals. But on the other hand, they are very cheap and may suit your purposes.

Regards, Ross

Well, that is how the lens reads with my D70! Thanks for the replies.

Ross, I am am quite familiar with Bjorn Rorslett's site. My question was quite specific. Thanks anyway.

Since this particular lens (30-60 f/4-5.6) has its chip sticking in to the camera, only focal lengths 60mm to 35mm could be used. Around 35-50mm lens seems to be very good when stopped at least 1 stop lower.

AF is sluggish but works. Appears to work in all modes.

If I manage to do something about the exposed chip getting in the way, I might even keep one to use with my D70. At 90 gms, this plastic wonder should not be too much of a worry compared to the kit (another plastic wonder) zoom.

Vivek.

you wrote:

> Ross, I am am quite familiar with Bjorn Rorslett's site. My

> question was quite specific. Thanks anyway.

...and Bjorn has a specific answer in his IX-Nikkor 24-70 review... (ok it's not about D70 but D100, electronically shouldn't make much difference)

"A very cheap alternative from the Nikon Pronea (APS format) era, this petite lens can be attached to D1-series and D100 cameras as well. You only need to cut off the rear protruding flange of the lens to avoid the reflex mirror being jammed on these cameras. Since lens construction basically comprise plastics and sticky tape (!), the adaptation can be performed in a few minutes.

After some haggling, I obtained my sample for free from the odds-and-ends bin of my photo store. I then went on to prove it could be used on my D1X, before it ended its life when I extracted its matrix chip for a better purpose."

Ross,

I appreciate the responses from you and others. I also am very appreciative of Bjorn Rorslett's excellent and very informative site.

As I mentioned, I bought a few IX Nikkors (30-60 f/4.5-5.6 and one 24-70

zoom) for the chip in those lenses.

After dismantling one of the 30-60 zoom and examining the other, this is what I found:

While the 24-70 zoom has the chip firmly placed way inside the lens housing, trimming of the extra plastic is easy and makes the lens fully functional to be used on a D70.

The 30-60 zoom is different. The chip is placed inside of the extra protruding plastic. After getting rid of the extra plastic, I mounted it on the D70 and it works. Only between 35mm and 55mm. Anywhere else the chip gets in the way of the mirror. The 30-60 zoom construction is very very poor. However, the image quality from 32mm setting appears to be excellent (atleast as good or better than the kit zoom). I was fascinated with the optical design of this (6 elements in 6 groups) which gave a hint of better performance.

I also found out that the image circle from the IX Nikkors cover a full 35mm frame and is not restricted to the APS size (if the extra plastic is removed). So, there is a difference between these and the IX Nikkor. Unfortunately, after horsing around with one of the opened 9to remove the extra rear plastic) 30-60 zoom for a couple of hours, it fell apart! I salvaged the chip.

As always, I thought I will find out if anyone has found these things out from their experience before I experiment with the lenses.

Regards,

Vivek.

A great answer! Thanks, Vivek. I don't think anyone else has done what you have, or at least they haven't published it. And you have corrected a couple of false staements floating around out there. Regards, Ross

"I also found out that the image circle from the IX Nikkors cover a full 35mm frame and is not restricted to the APS size (if the extra plastic is removed). So, there is a difference between these and the IX Nikkor."

Last line should read as: So, there is a difference between these (IX Nikkors) and the DX Nikkors.

Here, I add a picture of the entire chipped circuit extracted from the 30-60 f/4-5.6 zoom IX Nikkor (about 6 cm long!).

Vivek.<div>0092Lm-19017184.jpg.a858609c45858cf355c3a4980deb4192.jpg</div>

<p>I'm glad I didn't find <i>that</i> when I opened up a 60-180 IX for chipping an extension ring. Its chip was already large enough with the focus distance and focal length strips, and a pain to fit inside a 20mm ring.

The top and the top right part of the circuit print is not of much use

for re-installing the chip these (the shiny metal patches) relay the focal length (from the zoom) and the distance info (focus) from the lens.

I am pretty sure (have not confirmed this yet) that these apendages can be chopped and the chipped circuit will still function.

Vivek.

> I am pretty sure (have not confirmed this yet) that these apendages

> can be chopped and the chipped circuit will still function.

According to a mail I gor from Mr. Rorslett on the matter, the distance strip can usually be cut but the focal length strip may or may not be of importance. Some chips don't function any more if you remove it.

• 7 years later...