be a good place to share some of my work and get maybe a little more

appreciation for my work. <br>

<br>

I always get low ratings on my HOLGA images and this saddens me, but

doesn't discourage me. <br>

<br>

<b>Why is the average photo.net user so biased against toy camera

images?</b>

Ratings are completely meaningless. Everyone has different tastes and will rate according to those tastes. Try to rely more on comments, which I know are few and far between, but typicaly have some value, where ratings typcialy are based on people trying to get high ratings in return, or they want to get thier own work in the top rated photos, or just to make themselves feel superior by low rating the work of others. Don't feel sad for your work, but rather for those that feel compelled to live by ratings.

- Randy

<< Why is the average photo.net user so biased against toy camera images? >>

While I think this is a pretty broad (and incorrect) generalization, I have found that many anti-toy camera people are insecure of their own photography and ignorant (whether it be self-induced or simply lack of experience) of the real processes of creating images.

"I think there's a taught conception out there that any good image has to be a pristine, tack sharp, perfectly exposed masterpiece. Some aren't able to think outside of that box and some is just plain preference or the variation of what we all consider "art"...

VERY true. Frequently appears in the form of owners of high-precision cameras commenting 'why should you buy a Holga when you can just smear jelly on the lens..' Not that such a comparison would be equivalent in desired effect, even had it actually been tried by the critic in question. They've no interest in such images in the first place, certainly no interest in owning or using an alternative camera. And a few inevitably assume that those of us who own 'toy' cameras aren't skilled or experienced with expensive precision cameras or the creation of highly detailed and corrected images, when such an effect is desired.

On the other extreme, there is also a (admittedly small) group who believe that any toy or alternative camera image is to be highly praised merely because it 'is' a image taken by an 'approved' type of alternative or toy camera, because the camera or lens used has been intentionally damaged or modified in a certain way. Very ironic, when one considers the original intent of those who first picked up these cameras for serious photography.

I try as best I can to avoid both traps, and generally pay little attention to critics with an agenda of any sort. I concern myself with the light and the desired effect, then choose the tool for the task. In the end, it's all about not letting the tail (camera) wag the dog (the image).

Kim, youve got a great sense for color, i love it... the carnival atmosphere definitely suits your use of color!

As far as Holga Haters... basically its funny to me that anyone would waste their time belonging to a forum of any kind only to post neegative comments... seems odd to me. But Ive noticed that even though this is an "alternative cameras" forum people continually bash pinhole and holga photography, or processing with coffee... I mean really, some people need to lighten up and get a life. Experimental Photography is at best a creative art and for the most part a hobby... And ive noticed that most of the negative nancies dont even bother to post their images on photo.net... or if they do they arent very interesting or well taken... basically if you cant make an interesting composition or find an interesting subject then it doesnt matter how much you spend on exotic equiptment or expensive film... in the end your just another below-average photographer.

Also, for those people who think that only german cameras from the 40s are the only cameras worthy shooting film... guess what? Poor people like making art too... and alot of them are DAMN good at it! So next time you get the urge to rag on someones $20 plastic peice of junk camera... why dont you just loan them one of your 50 german cameras for a week, instead of letting them rot on the shelf? ;)

I agree with the above: you have nice photos and who cares about the ratings. I've found that the people who don't like Diana type images are pretty narrow minded. Different tools for different jobs. Of course, I be feeling pretty silly falling in love with a Holga photo after buying my $2000 camera and $3000 lens too.

Jeeeez Kim: you sound like some neo-Repub whiner who got kicked off the Freeper netsite. I don't know anybody who Hates Holgas. But I'll be damned if I have to like a crappy picture just because it was taken with a camera that barely works. There are reasons folks started using cameras with real shutters and lenses back in the prehistoric days of photography and images taken with Holgas show that those reasons are still valid. Most of us who post here get no appreciation for our work and we don't worry about a bias against our equipment. Get a life.

<< But I'll be damned if I have to like a crappy picture just because it was taken with a camera that barely works. >>

Too bad we have to put up with your crappy comments just because you think you're gods gift to the photographic process.

Kim- I think your work is great- I really like it.

Don't get discouraged- you have your own unique vision

and talent, that's what's important. If you're different

you'll always have critics- differenet is good. Most

detractors have neither talent or vision so that's there

problem. As you move on professionally stay creative and

different and it will set you apart from the crowd. If you

stay true to what you are, you will no doubt find a market

for your work and become succesful. Good luck!

http://www.randysantos.com

http://www.dcstockimages.com