I've got your Uncle Bob, and his cousin

dmcgphoto

<p>Okay, I post this for humour, not because I was annoyed or put out.<br>

I had a wonderful home wedding with a Cambodian family, and the entire family turned out it seems with every camera imaginable. As it turns out, there wasn't enough room for the paparazzi, so the pulled down the screen, opened the windows and shot from the outside in.</p>

<p>They were in every way, deferential to me and my camera, and I was charmed by their devotion to the family.<br>

When meeting the father for the first time, he told me..."You take precedence over everybody" Though I really was much more in the background, I did get some cute pics of the bride and groom trying not to laugh while the monks were praying.</p>

<p> </p><div>00WmIO-256031584.jpg.cb0061c1842ae7191ac7c9b9abba9b22.jpg</div>

<p>I have been an Uncle Bob only in my case it was truly an Uncle Ray.</p>

<p>My niece asked me to photograph her wedding which I gladly said I would do. When I show up at the wedding I find another photographer so I ask her what her role is. The photographer says she is just a friend that is going to take a few pictures. I say OK. We also agree on our roles. She will do the candids which is fine by me and I will do the formals.</p>

<p>Ceremony is over and we have 20 minutes to do the formals before we are thrown out of the church. My wife and I take over and get them done in 18.3 minutes. I ignore the other photographer to get what I think is my job completed.</p>

<p>We go the reception. I follow the other photographers vehicle. On the back is lettering on the window advertising her photography business. The red light in my brain starts to glow. When we get to the reception I am told that I am intimidating the other photographer. I need to back off and let her do her job. Well I thought she was just a friend, but she was not. She was hired. The red light is now at full brightness.</p>

<p>The bride lied to me, the photographer lied to me. Turned me into someone that I did not desire. So I left the reception immediately and made it known to the grooms father (my wifes brother) why we were leaving and that they would not be receiving any of my images. The bride and groom noticed our absence and the bride was informed of the problems her actions caused.</p>

<p>I did swallow my pride later on and provided the images. I also made a video DVD of the images for the mother who called me twice crying thanking me for the DVD. Turns out the other photographers images were, in my biased opinion, inferior to what I provided. The lighting was difficult in the church and her pictures at the reception were little more than average P&S shots. So I felt somewhat vindicated.</p>

<p>We have healed the wounds because family is more important than hurt feelings. But an important lesson was learned. Sometimes you can be an Uncle Bob (or Uncle Ray) for reasons beyond your control.</p>

<p><strong><em> for the mother who called me twice crying thanking me for the DVD. </em></strong></p>

<p>Yet another reason why I don't mix biz with the family. Too many times I've done one of the "kids" weddings in our clan only to have a parent be the appreciative one. Nary a word from the ungrateful niece/nephew/urchin.<br>

I'm guessing in your case, you were "asked" to do the wedding then this pro was hired later on. So, in a misguided effort to protect your feelings and keep the peace somebody decided on the tactic you describe? (A stretch I know...)</p>

<p>RT <-- denying family discounts & freebies since 2004.</p>

• 1 month later...