It's not that the photos were lost...

brookref

...it's that the photographer never showed up. At all.

This is a case of being on the other side this time, of being the customer. We finally heard back from the photographer yesterday, who

apologized profusely and offered to try to make it up to us somehow.

He mentioned offering to do some portraits but the reason we had hired him was for his portfolio of journalist-style photos. We're not

necessarily inclined to sit for portraits, although the idea is not such a bad one.

So to the Forum, I'm asking - what would be a reasonable offer for us to request?

Amol - it's unclear if it's free. we haven't talked to him yet, we just said we needed a little time to consider his offer. we did

have a contract, yes.

John - well, it was more about not letting anything ruin the day and everyone's fun. ironically, until he sent the email, i was

okay with things. his email, while appreciating the apology, actually made us have to think about it again. this is why we're

hesitating at all. we were ready to just consider it a shut case, one of those what-can-you-do things but now we have options.

He didn't show for a wedding? or some other social event?

What did you end up doing, regarding pictures?

If it was a wedding, then personally, I might hear the excuse for the no-show. Otherwise, screw-it ask for a refund, and not do the portraits.

Of course, I'm not a very trusting person, break my trust once, and I'm done.

If you are more forgiving, then give him a chance, or hear him out.

If it were a wedding, or some other high dollar event, I wouldn't be inclined to be very forgiving. Even if I were the photographer. When you are a professional, you are paid to be there come hell or high water. Yes, life happens from time to time. But if you cannot make it for some reason, you had better damn well have a backup plan and another photographer you can send in your shoes (with a refund check in hand).

it was our wedding. luckily everyone carries at least P&S cameras these days, so we have btw 200-300 photos from

everyone, combined. still, as you can imagine, they are everything you'd expect - underexposed, in-camera flash, etc from the

P&S; long DOF, shutter shake, auto settings etc from the two SLRs....there are literally only a handful that are technically good for an album.

he cited "personal chaos" and that they overlooked our date; they found the contract while doing a clean up. it's believable. there isn't a refund

necessary - we were supposed to pay in full on the date.

we're just torn between saying screw it, and making a reasonable request. trying to get opinions from people who can see both sides. i don't

want to get even, i don't even know if it's fair to ask for anything.

It's a pretty lame excuse, but it happened. I'm also surprised you didn't call the photographer before the wedding, just to make sure everything was OK. Nothing can be done now.

Instead of getting a free photo sitting I'd ask the photographer to do whatever he can to adjust the pictures from the guests. Often one can do remarkable work with Photoshop and other types of software. I think you deserve that, plus a free portrait sitting.

Is he offering to do portraits for "free"? Or would you have to pay him for them.

If he is willing to do portraits for free, then maybe. Though, honestly, he forgot a really-really important photo event, I wouldn't count on him to remember a free photo shoot. (Though, if his concerned about reputation, he might actually follow-through with this).

Out of curiosity, did you have a signed contract?

Bob - thank you, this is the sort of suggestion i was hoping to get. I hadn't thought of asking for editing work.

And yes, part of my mellowness is down to the fact that I didn't get hold of him before the wedding. It was on my list of things

to do but in the craziness before the wedding....we managed to get hold of all the other vendors....

Josh - my apologies for calling you John. Twice. !

All photographers should be so lucky to have a level headed client like you if they make a mistake. I think most clients would be sending the guy to small claims court. Or at least making his life miserable by slagging his name all over the place.

You are a good soul to be so mellow about the whole thing.

I wouldn't have anything more to do with him. He wants to placate you so you don't spread your experience with him around. If I were in your shoes I'd be more concerned with the next B & G to fall victim to his "personal chaos". Is that a death in the family or a bad hair day? I'd want to know specifics, and it would have to be a really, really good excuse.

Okay, this questions *really* isn't meant to bash on the guy, but how on earth do you manage to "forget" a wedding when you're a

wedding photographer? There's so much to do before a wedding! It sounds like he took the booking (with deposit?) then never gave it a

second thought.

So really, how can this happen? Anyone out there got any close calls? Could-a-been-me's? I ask because I've been know to be, uh, less

than perfectly organized in my personal life ;-) Professionally, I try to make up for it ten-fold! So I'm wondering how this can happen so

that I can make sure that it's never me missing a really important shoot.

Richard, I'm really sorry that you've had to go through this! Although you sound very understanding of all this, I'm sure that you and your

wife (Congrats, by the way!) must be very upset.

Might I suggest that whatever you ask of him, it should have monetary value to him. Yes, I'm sure that he's very distraught by all of this

too, but this was a VERY big mistake. WAY beyond "I lost all of your files". It should cost him something, not just a bit of his time. It's

the things that impact our wallet that make us think really hard. It doesn't have to be big or over the top, maybe a nicely laid out album

or something.

If the editing thing doesn't work out with him, I might be willing to donate some time to give you a hand, just drop me a line through my

website!

Richard, my question to you is, did you put up a retainer? If so, then you have a strong case for some compensation. I understand that you have a contract, however, I will often draft up a contract to commit the customer with the understanding that it is not binding until I receive the retainer. If no retainer was giving up front, then take whatever the photographer is offering. Next, why did you not contact the photographer prior to the wedding. I know I usually will have my finally consultation with my clients one week prior to the wedding and payment is due then. In addition, I show up to the rehearsal 95% of the time. The only time I do not show up is if I am out of town on another job or I am doing an another event at the same time as the rehearsal. Also, it is my policy to show up to every wedding one hour prior to the contracted time. It is stated on my website and included in my initial consultation. It sounds like there were indications that you should of picked up on that he was not going to show up. I am guessing this is the reason why you are so calm.

Now for compensation. If you did put down a retainer and the photographer just did not show up, I would expect him to compensate for my tux, compensate to make my wife look like she did on our wedding day, and do a mock up of some of the must have shots. I would ask him to produce a sort of candid/pose photo session like a love story so to speak. I would hold him accountable. If I was not happy with his service or if my wife was not happy, then I would take it to another level. I would not let this guy off the hook very easily.

Consider creating a Web page dedicated to this photographer and your transaction with him. Stick to the facts and leave out opinions. Even if it's a forum page here on photo.net.

It's not about getting even, it's about preventing other couples from suffering the same fate, in the event they might research his name or business name, prior to hiring him.

Most pro wedding photographers would ask for a deposit prior to the date of the wedding. The fact that he did not, should have been a red flag to you.

There is absolutely NO reason to forget..

As soopn as I have a signed contract and retainer, I have a folder made wtht he B&G's name and wedding date and it goes in the files. I ahve the date in jy dayrunner as well as an 18 month calander on the wall, AND my wife is always on top of this.

I say, get your mony back AND qriet a review in The Knott and other sites that let you review.

Guys like this give the good guys a bad name

Yup, all things considered, I accept some of the blame, even if a "professional" should have made following up unnecessary. To be honest,

this was the only thing that slipped through the crack. Could have been worse....

I do like the suggestions of asking him to do editing. If we send him a CD of the tracks and ask him to put an album together, it would definitely

take time (i.e., cost him). That would be one way for him to redeem himself.

If he does a rubbish job, then I'll seriously consider putting up that web site...

I agree with Bob--ask the photographer to edit/optimize the images you have and make them ready for printing. You can ask if he'll make the album for you free, but that would be direct, out-of-pocket for him, whereas just editing or a portrait shoot would not be. However, he might agree, just to make you happy enough to not bad mouth him. It depends on what you intended to do with the images to begin with--did you have an album in mind?

Otherwise, if it were me, I'd pass on the portrait shoot unless you are able to conveniently don the wedding dress and tux (or whatever you wore) again for some 'fake' PJ styled images in a session that might include the appropriate locations and/or a local park or urban background--like a casual and fun engagement session, only with the wedding clothes. That or convert the session to a family portrait session at your next family gathering.

Get your money back and make sure your friends know about it. There is no excuse for walking on a wedding without

providing back up or giving a hell of a lot of notice.

I would wave the portrait session.

Yes, things happen but this should not have, especially with no communication.

-Cheers

It all depends on what reason he didn't show up...it it was (on the wedding day), nature disaster, car accidents, or family member got sick

to emergency room, etc. that is understandable.

For me, I will get the money back. For lame excuse, I don't feel trusting him to work on album, editing pictures. Doesn't sounds like

portraiture sitting is a good deal for you...

Richard P,

I offer my condolences on the absence of your treasured photos. But remember that many people who are unhappy with their "pro photos" still go to another photographer after the wedding and redo the bridals, engagements at the special locations like the church and the reception hall. My wife and I did. The key point here for me is that I hired another photographer whose style I really liked and personality I really liked. So here it comes,...

If it were me, I'd have the previous photographer pay for another photographer of my choice to do my photos. Just remember that wedding photography is one of the most sued business in the world and without a firm contract that excuses him of all liability, he and his business can be held to the fullest extent of the law. But that's just me. Leverage him until you get quality photos of you and your lovely bride that you'll be happy to print at poster size, wallet size, album size, web size, and have in every room in the house, you wallet, your desk, your ... you get the idea.

Although, I do very much like the idea of having him retouch your photos. But I'll tell you what. I'll do them for free if you mail me a DVD. (Seriously). I'm good, I'm fast, and I know what I'm doing. Now go get some amazing photos of you and your bride!

Sincerely,

Joseph Snively