italian homage to lester gediman

Oh fer crissakes! I'm at work, thought my pithy comment would be easily understood. What I meant, more precisely, was the images have a rather... hell, can't explain it... the lack of women in the earlier shots seems to render the frames timeless. I liked. Like the frames avec woman aussi.

Alan, You honor me with your hommage. I have to pinch myself to see if I'm still alive. The planets were lined up just right for me for two years. The bounty harvest of photos that was taken then became my finest vintage years of 58 & 59. I've never come close to matching that epoch and I doubt, if I lived to be 100, I could ever capture a time like that again. But as a Taurus, I lower my head behind a viewfinder and charge ahead trying to knock out a few good photographs.

I enjoyed seeing your photos of Italy taken in 1998. Some look timeless and could have been taken in the 50s, 20s or in the 19th century.

I really will be putting up a new website in April that will be made up exclusively of 30 photos from 1958 and 59. All were taken in Europe, over 90% in Italy. I did use a Minolta Autocord for some work, but almost all the ones I will display were taken with my former Leica IIf with f2/50mm Summitar, f2/85mm Nikkor LTM and f3.5/35mm Summaron.

Thanks for showing your work Alan. My favorites of yours are: Atri, both shots from Siena and Venice of course. Keep up the fine work; they are splendid photos.

Les

Great images Alan.

Italy is a wonderful place, full of characters, but a place you either love or hate. I lived up north for a while, and still go back regularly for work and leisure - I love it.

Each time, the first thing when I go back is to get an espresso (or two), and later a snack of a particular soft cheese (stracchino) on some decent bread. Then a proper pizza for dinner followed by more espresso.

Yummmm