It has arrived!!! - Nikon FM

liljuddakalilknyttphotogra

<p>It has arrived!!! My new FM has arrived!!!!</p>

<p>I'm thrilled. I'm about to put a fim roll in it. I have the 50mm f/1.2 mounted & I'm so exchited. This is silly - - but I'm so happy. :-)<br>

It is in near mint condition. Mirror & shutter is in excellent condition. I have loaded a roll of film & will try to get out either today or tomorrow to test it.<br>

OK, so now I will get more actively involved in more lenses for it. :-)</p>

<p>Lil :-)</p>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Albert,<br>

scanner - - my printer has a decent scanner. That will do to start with.</p>

<p>John,<br>

two FM stolen. I have always wanted one to keep. I just had to have one again. It's been on my mind for a long time. Now I have it. :-D</p>

<p>Nina,<br>

55mm f/1.2 - - OK I'll look for one. :-)</p>

<p>Douglas,<br>

If I get a chance to go out tomorrow. Then I'll bring it along & take some shots with it. I don't have any special film yet. Velvia is supposed to be good. I'll order some. I had forgotten how well built this little camera is - - I'm really happy. :-)</p>

<p>Eric,<br>

I feel like I'm 20 again. :-D I hope my husband can keep up. :-)</p>

<p>Thanks guys & gal - - I'm really very excited about this. It's in beautiful condition.</p>

<p>Thank you Conni,<br>

It will be great to go back to basics & work it. :-) A little bit of NAS is fine. :-D So I'll give in to that. :-)</p>

<p>Ron,<br>

I hope you're joking. :-)  Film, that which was the only thing which existed when I started photographing. It will be fun to do both. :-)</p>

<p>Ronald,<br>

MP???  I don't know - - has anyone established how many MP 35mm film has???</p>

<p>Jim,<br>

Good answer. :-D</p>

<p>Congrats Lil. </p>

<p>Dunno, I can't think of shooting film at the moment.  I still have rolls of unused Velvia in the fridge.  I am planning to sell my film cameras soon once I get the time to deal with these things -- maybe next year.  LOL!</p>

<p>However, I am forever grateful for having gone through the "training" using film and acquired the penchant to expopse and compose an image just so, no more and no less.  Cropping and post processing was not an option in the mind.</p>

<p>Good luck,<br>

Mary</p>

<p>Congrats Lil! I too took recent delivery of (yet another) film camera and I am thrilled to no end! I am at this moment, waiting for a string of negatives to dry and eagerly anticipating the results of my contact sheets. I wish you all the inspiration and new set of eyes that your film camera is likely to give you!  </p>

<p>Lil, congratulations on your recent acquisition. Out of curiosity, is your "new" FM, version 1, version 2 or version 3? I have all 3 versions; hence the curiosity question. Also, may I suggest getting an AR-1 or AR-9 Soft Shutter Release to accompany your FM.</p>

<p>On a recent trip to Volcanos National Park on the island of hawaii, I noticed a fellow shooting the spectacular Halemaumau Crater steam vent with a Hasselblad 500cm mounted with a 180mm lens.  It made me wish I had brought my Hasselblad gear.   He said he scanned his film and got way more extraordinary results compared to his DSLR Canon raw images.   I just might try it next trip to anywhere.</p>

<p>Thank you Richard,<br>

what a wonderful collection you have. :-)</p>

<p>Ron,<br>

I'm glad. That's what I was hoping, but since the fires my sense of humor seems to have gone away.... :-)</p>

<p>Mary,<br>

the fact that my two previous FMs were stolen from me is probably why I have obsessed about this. I have some film. A simple Kodak roll is in it now. That's the only thing my camera store had in when I bought film last. I'll test it with it & then I'll go to Velvia. I'm being nostalgic & I'm patching a hole in my heart. :-)</p>

<p>Philip,<br>

sounds like you're having fun. I now have two film & two digital slr cameras. No more P&S cameras for me. :-)</p>

<p>Hi John,<br>

mine is the original FM. I'm presuming you mean FM2 & FM3 as versions 2 & 3. That was my original camera. I may continue to collect & get more. :-) Thanks for the sof shutter release suggestion. I will look for one.  :-)</p>

<p>Hi Robert,<br>

Sounds like a wonderful experience. I will bring the FM along & compare. Should be a lot of fun. I've always foudn Hasselblad cameras to look like boxes ever since I was a child. But I've always wanted one. :-)</p>

<p>Thanks everyone - - the support has made me very happy</p>

<p>Ron beat me on this one :-) : "What is this 'film' thing that you speak of?"</p>

<p>Actually there is something even more obscure than just plain film. It is called silved based BW film. With that lens and body it might be the next thing to try after tomorrow. There are many places to get recepies to make your own solutions for development. With these dev. is quick, cheap, and gives excellent results. Silver based BW film is still a great (and many say better) alternative to digital. This may even be true if you scan and not print directly in a wet process that avoids the loss of the transition to digital.<br>

It will be a good expereince to use a camera without the need of a flowchart of the menue system ^^.</p>

<p>Good luck anyway.</p>

<p>Press release.....Nikon announces the new FM X! Double the resolution of the FM model. Happens to me everytime I acquire a new Nikon product.<br />Kidding aside, I recall the feeling when my F5 arrived last year. It was indeed a wonderful day. Are you planning on doing any of your own processing? Taking the film out of that new camera and processing in a dark room will make the magic even more amazing!</p>

<p>35mm negative film like Ektar captures over 26MP worth, Velvia higher, TMX even much higher.</p>

<p>You will need a Nikon Coolscan to get the juice out of your pictures in terms of detal, DMax, low noise, etc.  I'd get at least Coolscan V for $300 on ebay.</p>

<p>The only problem is that your digital camera will start collecting dust pretty soon after you compare the results.</p>

<p>     Likewise, I just acquired a mint, black FM off the Bay for $81. It is getting fresh mirror box foam and door seals. That's it. No brassing anywhere.</p>

<p><br />     It will join my stable of Nikon film gear, both manual and AF. That includes an EM, FG, FG-20 , FA, F E, FE2, N6000, N6006, N2000, N2020, N8008s, N90s, F70, F100, Nikkormat FS, Nikkormat EL. In some cases I have two of several models that were such bargains I felt it would have been foolish to pass them up.<br />I have a large assortment of Nikon lenses, too.</p>

<p><br />     I rotate my camera <em>du jour</em> based on how I feel. I may use one for a week or more. An unfinished roll of film may even be shifted to another camera. It also give each camera a bit of "exercise" to keep it in good shape. Scanning is on my printer, but a neg scanner is likely in my future.</p>

<p><br />     Every one of my cameras and lenses are mint. Every one came from an Internet seller who was going to digital. N ikon lenses include a wide array of manual and AF. No way could I have afforded this fine equipment before digital.</p>

<p><br />     Apparently a lot of people bought the latest, must-have Nikon film gear, then never or rarely used it, and gave it up when digital came along. I recently picked up a like-new Nikkor ED 180 f2.8 lens for $250. I had coveted one of those for years. I also have a complete line of Nikon flashes.</p>

<p><br />     Biggest bargain among many might have been the F70 with date back that seemed fresh out of the box. That was $29 and is perfect as a point-and-shoot.</p>

<p><br />     By the way, I also bought a nice, little Fuji digital P&S camera last year.</p>

<p><br />     Someday I might take the trouble to learn how to use it.</p>