Can any istD users give me the scoop on how there camera is holding

up? I have been doing research on this and comparable nikon, canon,

cameras and just want to get somebody's user feedback. I read the

Luminous Landscape review came away with a seriously bad taste in my

mouth about the author. Kind of like a Phillip Greenspun review

when he doesn't like the camera maker. Does this camera do what you

thought it would do? What are the gripes? I have some very good

pentax glass for my film slr, but if going digital I would like to

know if this camera is up to the task. Thanks alot.

I read that too, but it didn't strike me as too stilted - he has his preferences. For myself I won't buy the istD, but I'd make a good guess that when Pentax comes out with its next version, I probably will. Two reasons - firstly I bought an MZ-5 as soon as it came out and it was superceded by the MZ-5n in, (I think) less than 6 months. Boy, I was pissed because the MZ-5n was a load cheaper and had a better spec. The second reason is my MZ-S - I can wait for the digi until the techno-development race stabilises and cools down. (Sorry, not helpful, just ranting.)

I purchased this camera the day after reading the Luminous Landscape review. It was the first review I could find that dared to be critical. I had admired the way he handled the 14n and had been waiting with interest to see what he would do to the Pentax. I interpreted his review as being very positive.

I am very happy with the camera. All the positive points mentioned on Luminous Landscape are correct in my opinion. Some of the criticisms are correct and some are overstated or at least a personal opinion.

THE POSITIVE POINTS FIRST:

Good build quality.

Switch for setting focus points to multi, variable, single / center.

Green button selects correct exposure settings even in Manual mode.

Handy AF button on the rear panel can separate autofocus function from shutter release.

Turn-on time is about 1 second - as fast an any digital body.

Three separate combinations of custom functions.

Matrix metering exceptionally accurate even in back-lit situations.

Multipoint auto-focus very quick and accurate.

Image quality is good. It only starts to drop a little behind the Canon 10D at ISO 800 and above.

The 18-35 is a great consumer lens - a little distortion at 18 mm, but it costs about $100 and comes with hood that allows polariser rotation. Excellent performance with strong backlight.

Images on the web have indicated the camera's images are "soft". Pentax has avoided over-sharpening images in the camera. When sharpened in Photoshop they are fine.

That's not a bad start!

NOW THE MAIN NEGATIVE POINTS:

The name. Not an issue for the user, but it is just plain stupid. The main loser is Pentax. "So which digital camera did you choose?" "The Pentax, you know the one without a name." I have had this conversation several times in the last month and within seconds we are talking about the Canon and Nikon offerings. The conversation never returns to Pentax. My dealer calls it the 'Nameless'.

Its small size - this is a Pentax feature like it or not. Pentax has made 'edgy' cameras for years. Take the LX 35 mm body - 'Nameless' is 2.5 cm (1 inch) deeper from front to back than the LX. It is also 0.5 cm higher than the LX and it weighs 70 g more than the LX. It is 1.5 cm narrower than the LX and if they had just added that 1.5 cm on the left hand side, everyone would have said "Wow it fits so comfortably in the hand." 'Nameless' is noticeably lighter than the Canon 10D.

The joystick button is too small.

The battery issue discussed by Luminous Landscape is a non-event as far as I am concerned. I get two days continuous use out of 8 year old NiCd rechargables with 5 sec image review, but no flash. How many photographers don't have rechargeable batteries these days? If you are going somewhere where there is no electricity you can always take the special CR-V3s that do about 1000 pics.

�It is virtually impossible to get the CF card out of its slot� - it is a bit fiddly, that's all.

No histogram display possible during post-exposure image review. I don't find it a problem to use the one available on playback.

The camera does not have a flashing overexposure warning on the image review screen. Canon has this on some of its video cameras and also on the 10D - very nice, but I can live without it.

So the above are the main negative points on the review. Again I agree with them all (except battery), but they are really not serious for me.

I DO HAVE SOME ISSUES GLOSSED OVER OR OMITTED BY LUMINOUS LANDSCAPE:

There is a projection at the top front of the camera where the flash is. This gets in the way of the tripod foot on an old 300 mm lens I have. I can get around it but it is a real pain. I don't know if this could be a problem for other lenses.

The software for converting RAWs is a joke and here Luminous Landscape lets Pentax off very lightly. I would expect better if I bought a toy digital camera for a 10 year old. You have to carry out photo manipulation on a smaller than 1/4 screen window that cannot be expanded. The files exported are set at 72 dpi !!! Great for the web site builders, but you can buy a $200 camera for that.

You can take TIFs directly on the camera, I don't think this is possible with the 10D, and this saves messing with the above disaster, but the review time becomes uncomfortably long and magnifying the photo becomes impractical.

The review time is longer the longer the exposure time (shutter speed) for a photo. This is very noticeable with direct TIFs. I'm not sure if this is normal with other digital backs?

The battery holder appears to reduce the capacity of the batteries. You can take 450 pictures with 4 NiMH rechargables and no battery holder, but according to the manual if you switch to 8 with the battery holder it drops 400 photos. I can hardly believe this is true. Perhaps it means you get an extra 400 and there has been a mix-up in the translation.

So it is early days, but I think 'Nameless' will make a name for itself in spite of the Pentax marketing department. As for the Luminous Landscape conclusions, they are probably a bit harsh, but 'hit a base run' is a bit like the name of the camera - meaningless - unless perhaps you happen to live in North America.

I have posted in other places that this camera is the most expensive thing that I have ever bought which could be carried home. I am really, really pleased with it. I have some test shots in their own folder in my portfolio. And there's lots to read about it in <a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1028">the Pentax Talk Forum on DPreview</a><br>

DP Review has a throrough and reasonably balanced review, and that forum has links to a few others.

Having used it for a couple of months I posted this there a couple of days ago <p><i>

My view is based on using a compact digital, and 3 different film SLRs over, plus a little experience with a borrowed Nikon D1, and 5 minutes with a friend's 300D. In the order I think of them<p>

Size and Weight. Not bulky, not heavy (in absolute terms) but DENSE, solid. <p>

Good handling and ergonmics (wheel in front of the shutter button like Nikon, not behind like cannon).<p>

Exposure comp. that I can work without taking my eye from the view finder. <p>

Don't need to go to the menus on the back of the camera to set White Balance, Iso, Quality. <p>

Noise levels for nighshots incredible compared with compact (even with NR off!) <p>

X sync socket <p>

Standard batteries (According to one review I saw it's the only DLSR to take AAs surely not ?) 500-600 shots to a charge.<p>

3 profiles for different situations <p>

In Program mode "Line shift" "Apperture Priority", and "Shutter Speed Priority" are just different ways of thinking about the same thing. "Green button" brings things back to the program line. <p>

Speed, like a film SLR not like a digital compact. (5 Frame buffer sounds like a limitation, but I haven't hit it in practice). Sounds like a film SLR too.<p>

Snappy autofocus. <p>

Image quality - good natural colours. <p>

Mirror lockup before shutter release in self timer (why don't all cameras do this !) <p>

-------------- <br>

Things I don't like. <p>

The doors and covers: the caps for the sockets are too flimsy, and CF door fouls on the strap, and the battery compartment is fiddly and doesn't inspire confidence.<p>

Software: Impatient for the remote assistant, the "Lab" software is OK (just, and no better than OK), the browser software is pointless, and takes minutes to start up in a folder with many files, doesn't cache thumbnails etc. Pentax put don't put lens info in Exif data where it can be read by normal software so you have to use their crappy browser to get it out if you want it. Since Nikon and Pentax use the same sensor you would have thought they could have used a common file format and software, to give them an advantage against Canon... ... but no it's better to work in splendid isolation.<p>

USB 1 interface - most manufacturers are the same. <p>

I don't like the cripped K-mount business - that's more of a problem with putting the 18-35 FA-J lens on my film bodies, than not being able to put old lens on the *ist-D<p>

And (Swimming against the tide) but why are Fuji the only digital maker who can use mechanical cable releases ? I have a ME-Super with a motor drive, an MG,an MZ-5n, and a *IST-D each needs its own release. Still the IR release for my Optio works with it. <p></I>

Net upshot of all this, the pluses outweigh the minuses. If you already like the way Pentaxes work , then don't pick up this camera unless you're prepared to hand over the money for one :-) Using your existing lenses should make it a no-brainer - but be warned if they are old ones with no A setting, then metering/exposure is a pain in the neck.

Before I start, I sold camera junk for years and in my opinion, overall the film

camera you use is a lot like the watch you wear, or the car you drive- the

camera you choose depends more on peer pressure than anything because

for the most part they are all the same.

I think the chips in these digital cameras are not the same and that seems to

be the most important thing to me. I�ll bet that many of these will become

collectable for the chip they had at the time

This being said, I have 6 pz1ps, one pz1, two 6x7s more lenses than I know

about and shoot around 2000 rolls of film per year.

I had two canons a G4 and a Digital Rebel before my ist that I have had for a

week now.

The G4 gave me the best control over my lighting like strobes etc. and the

Rebel�s chip took the best photos outside.

Overall the color on the Pentax is the best for people, looks great outside and

is not soft at all. What ever the chip is I like it the best. I have heard it is a

Sony.

Like all Pentax cameras in history the battery door sucks. They always have

and will. Get the longest warranty you can.

I also use a lot of vintage lenses and the very best thing is that I can use my

screw mount lenses and they look better than any new lenses I�ve seen. You

have to meter with them in A priority then switch over to manual to over

expose but the control for this is like a K1000 so it is pretty easy. The latitude

seems a lot like film as well and is the best of of the other two I have had.

The ASA starts at 200 and I wish it was slower, and the flash sync is 150 and I

wish it was faster. However, you can shoot at 3200 which looks pretty good

and I think that is a fair trade off.

The buffer to bring up your work in the ist is the fastest, and as far as the

battery thing goes, I think they are getting the rechargeable deal together, if

anyone has a good idea about this let me know.

I spot meter everything so I can�t say much about the matrix junk, I use my

pz1ps in manual and just like them mostly for their 250 flash sync.

In recent experience, the best digital work comes from scanned film that is

color corrected, and I have used my digital cameras to proof for my film, check

light and for shooting kids and print ad work for the web or publications on flat

stock like newsprint.

If you have great old Pentax lenses and recognize and desire their own

unmistakable saturation and feel you should get this camera. Pentax always

waits forever to get stuff out but I think they make the best choices in the long

run. All their lenses work with all their cameras back to the 1960s like no

other cameras out there, and their auto focus works better than the Nikons,

not as fast as the Canons and Minoltas.

I did not get the 18 to whatever lens that they make for this camera that is like

the Rebel lens that I did have and the conversion v. distortion thing for it was

kind of weird.

I have used mostly a 50m af lens from the 80s and a 135 2.8 af and their is no

distorted feel at all.

I used the fill flash once outside and I�m not sure if I like it. I did not like the fill

with either of my canons so I guess I��ll just wait and see. As I get used to this

one I will figure how to trick it out for strobes and the like and if anyone else

has any tips please e-mail me.

Pentax took 2 years getting this one out and I�ll bet they take a little while for

the next version, however I�ll bet that once they get it down they will crank out

some cheapies with less features down the road, and I�ll just stick with the one

with the fastest flash sync.

I have never used the software from any of these cameras I just use

photoshop and mac photo view so I can�t say about the software.

I generally treat my cameras like crap and this one feels like it will hold up like

the rest of them though it is small it is not that light.

If you are a pentax dude and want access to all those lenses I�d get this

camera now.

E-mail me if you want to see some specific stuff.

Good Luck!

Shannon

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I just got it, tried to take some pictures of an old friend and haven't prepared my computer yet... It feels quite good, requires less RTFM than a sophisticated "Prosumer p&s" and feels nice to use when you happen to manage to insert NiMhs & microdrive. - I'll continue later...