issues with M9

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by ardenpress, Jun 27, 2010.

1. I just got back from a brief trip to Boston where I had time to do some more practicing with the new M9.
    I found that the camera seemed to switch between DNG and fine JPEG without my setting the JPEG.
    I know I didn't make the switch bewtween the last DNG and the JPEG. Anyone have an experience like this?
    Also the camera shuts down =-screen goes black--when reviewing pictures in the rear screen.

2. Did you upgrade the firmware? There have been a couple of new updates in just the last two weeks.

3. Re There have been a couple of new updates in just the last two weeks.
    Where?

4. ... There have been a couple of new updates in just the last two weeks.​
    Yes, where?
    The latest firmware update is vs. 1.116 - back in March 2010.

5. That is the firmware that I have. But there is no new firmware available as far as I can see.
    I checked the Leica site when I got back and found nothing new. I think a phone call to them is in order.

6. Maybe you should try reloading the most recent firmware in case the previous load was corrupted somehow. Easy to do. Worth a try.

7. "Also the camera shuts down =-screen goes black--when reviewing pictures in the rear screen."
    This is a well-known feature/bug that came with the last firmware update; nothing wrong with the hardware. I suppose they change it again with the next update. I don't know about the other issue, my M9 doesn't do anything like it.
    Peter

8. Ed, these were my personal experience with my m9 when I first handed it. I had similar encounters (not sure if they were the same as yours):

1. ISO, lens types changed without my action: I later discovered that if you stored your settings in a profile and you chose it again at a later stage, m9 reloads all stored settings of the profile. I stored lens types, ISO and others to several profiles named after the lens types so when I switched lenses, I chosed the corresponding profile.

2. Preview blank/black - After each shot I encountered a black screen. I later discovered the 1s setting duration is too short. I'm using 3s now and it works fine.
    3. Sometimes I accidentally switched to 'C' and when I forgot to turn the 'auto bracketting off' and I encontered similar symtons in point #2 above.
    I hope they shed some light?