Isle of Mull - Scotland

dabow

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I intend to travel to Mull towards the beginning of April. I've been before, but last time it was a very brief one day trip and the weather was poor. This time I'll be there for a week.<br>

My question is can anyone recommend a good self-catering cottage on Mull that provides a good base for photographic landscape and seascape locations? So relatively central I suppose, or close to an area with a lot of opportunity. I'm not too well up on Mull locations, so if you'd like to throw in a few recommendations that would be very welcome as well!<br>

Best wishes for the festive season!<br>

Dave</p>

<p>I had a week on Mull a couple of years back and the weather was poor for 5 out of the 7 days. You may be lucky this time of course!<br /> There are a number of self-catering places in Tobermory which is the most substantial town on the island.By car most places on Mull are a fairly short drive away though the roads can be - interesting!. We stayed at Aisling Cottage and although it was OK you may well find other accommodation more suitable. Tobermory is probably a good central location. <br /> Quite a a bit more remote but possibly better as a location for landscape and seascape might be Ffionphort which is on the SW coast and faces Iona. It is also a useful ferry staging for Iona and trips to the Treshnish Islands (puffins) and Staffa (Fingal's Cave) both of which are great for photography. The islands of Coll and Tiree are also options. We used a B&B called Staffa House which was good but obviously not self-catering. <br /> Recommendations : the beaches are beautiful with fine white sand. Calgary beach is nice and there are several others which are accessible by car. Knockvologan beach and the tidal Isle of Erraid are good. Some of the most interesting landscape requires a lot of trekking, often over remote and difficult terrain. Carsaig Arches is an example. I never got there. If you go remote remember to let people know where you are going.<br /> If you are into wildlife then there are a number of day tours you can take which take you to places where otters, eagles etc can be seen. These are very popular. A trip I recommend is the Mull Charters trip to see the White-tailed eagles. They take you in a launch along a remote coast and then they tempt the eagles with fish thrown from the boat. The eagles will then come swooping down and grab them out of the water. Great stuff.<br /> I also liked the old abandoned boats at Salen as a subject.<br /> Have a great trip!</p>

<p> </p><div>00deTg-559900484.jpg.489235fa5362173877339aa5661ad875.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Colin,<br>

Many thanks for your reply. This is all very helpful information. As I'm mostly interested in seascapes/landscapes rather than wildlife I was thinking about the Ffionphort area. It seems there are a few beaches down there that could be interesting.<br>

Thanks again and best wises for the New Year!</p>

<p>Hi Dave, just thinking about my Mull trip, the weather prevented me getting to some of the places I wanted to go, for example Eas Fors waterfall. The access along the beach was over very wet, seaweedy rocks which I chickened out of, not wishing to break an ankle for a photo. The same went for Carsaig arches and a couple of other places.But I seem to remember this website was a good source of ideas :<br /> http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/mull/<br /> and a happy New Year to you!</p>

• 9 months later...