Island of Maui

wayne_roth1

<p>Hi,<br>

I am looking for a private guide on the Island of Maui to provide a photograpy tour for advanced photographers. We are going to be arrive on the Island by a cruise ship and we be there from 7am to 6pm.</p>

<p>I would appreciate any help or suggestions.</p>

<p>Thanks...</p>

<p>Wayne,</p>

<p>Where does your cruise ship pull in?<br>

IMHO places not to be missed are Iao Valley, Haleakala, and the Road to Hanna. You won't be able to see all of them, especially the Road to Hanna, which include the Red and Black sand beach. The trip up the Haleakala mountain is best seen early (or late) so I don't think you can catch that either. If I had to do one day, it would be to see as much of the Road to Hana as I can and Ioa Needle (and give yourself lots of time to get back the road is VERY wiggly, not a great trip if you get car sick easily).</p>

<p>Agree with Doug's thoughts.</p>

<p>Along the way - </p>

<ul>

<li>Paia is a great place to stop for a sandwich, interesting small town.</li>

<li>Just east of Paia is Ho'okipa Beach Park - lots of surfing shots</li>

<li>Along Hana Highway (once you get into the real twisty part - look for the waterfalls if it's been raining - there are dozens along the way</li>

<li>Makawao - Another small, interesting town</li>

</ul>

<p>I worked on cruise ships for a number of years and made a few trips to Hawaii, trying to do as much as possible on limited ship time.</p>

<p>If your are unable to find a guide, Maui is very easy to navigate by rental car. If the ship will be docked in Kahului, there will be shuttles waiting to take you to the rental offices at the airport, which is 10 minutes away. </p>

<p>Your ship may be anchored off Lahaina, which constricts what you can see in a day. The hassle of getting ashore via tender boats can take a lot of time. </p>

<p>The drive to Hana is pretty much an all-day affair, so I'd suggest just checking out a few miles of it and then heading on to something else. The scenery doesn't change much along the way.</p>

<p>One gem of an area I found on Maui was to continue on Highway 37 to the south side of Haleakala. The landscape goes from jungle, to what looks like mid-west farmland, to scorched earth. There's a little winery along the way as well.</p>