Is velvia-like color saturation possile with 20D?

stacy_egan

Getting my 20D a month ago has spurred me to read photography books

and web sites to improve my photographic knowledge, and I was only

then made aware of the color possible with velvia film. Is it

possible with the 20D? Does one do this by setting the color

saturation parameter to 2 or even 3? By setting ISO to 100 and long

exposure times? Or is shooting raw recommended (I currently shoot

JPEG because I haven't read up how to shoot and process raw yet) and

post-processing the color saturation with Photoshop?

Thanks for your time,

Stacy

There are various ways to achieve Velvia like saturation with the 20d. You could up the saturation parameter if you are shooting jpeg. If you are shooting RAW you have much more control over the saturation, but you have an additional step added to your workflow. Additionally, I have a couple of photoshop actions which are specifically designed to achieve velvia color. They sometimes work great, and other times work ok. The nice thing about RAW though is you can have the saturation if you want it or not have it if you don't (portraits, for instance).

Check out www.fredmiranda.com. He has several photoshop actions for sale (including velvia) at a reasonable price. I can vouch for the B&W action, I'm very pleased with the results. I will be getting the velvia action next.

Bill

Check out www.fredmiranda.com. He has several photoshop actions for sale (including velvia) at a reasonable price. I can vouch for the B&W action, I'm very pleased with the results. I will be getting the velvia action next.

Bill

You can get a velvia like look using the channel mixer in Photoshop. Simply set

the red channel to red 120%, green -10%, blue -10%

the blue channel to red -10%, green +120%, blue -10%

the blue channel to red -10%, green -10%, blue +120%

Thank you so much for the answers so far! In looking at the VelviaVision plugin I see that it is not compatible with Photoshop Elements (which is all I have).

I assume the RGB-channel adjustments are within the realm of Elements; I'm anxious to see how that works.

You can boost the saturation to match the saturation of Velvia or

even beyond it. However, the ''Velvia look'' is not only about the

saturation. That film render hues in a very different way than

digital sensors does, and boosting the saturation and eventually add

warmth -- that's how the ''Velvia plungins'' work - does not help

here.

Yes, I discovered last evening that Elements does not have a channel mixer adjustment layer.

But there *may* be a work-around. I'm looking at Richard Lynch's Web site www.hiddenelements.com in which he has a book+CD which claims to provide procedures to getting near-Photoshop capability with Elements. Also is http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-elements-curves.html which provides a free download of curves and other effects to go with Elements. I have not tried it; I haven't done enough research into "digital darkroom" techniques enough to know what "curves" are yet:)

Again, thank you so much for your responses!

This is what I found by reading Magic Lantern Guide: Canon EOS 20D by Rob Sheppard.

He sugests for the Velvia look: Parameters Set 1 = Contrast 2Points, Sharpness 1Point, Saturation 2Points. If you dont like it, just experiment with the individual settings. It's digital what have you got to loose :~} .

Good luck Carl.

I've just tried the plugins for elements hat are on <a href="http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-elements-curves.html">http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/photoshop-elements-curves.html</a>, and they work just fine - even in my Elements v.2. The settings for "Digital Velvia" listed earlier certainly make for a punchier image. It may be a bit too strong, sometimes, but can be easily backed off as it is in a separate layer. Example below, hopefully. The original was a jpeg froma 10D, with Sharpness +2, Contrast 0 and Saturation +1 (my normal default jpeg shooting parameters).<div>00BhRV-22638184.jpg.e301940fe628975761c8675d6a3c61ec.jpg</div>