Is Tripod Collar removable on Canon 200mm IS lens?

peter_yardley

I'm trying to remove the rotating tripod mount from my new 200mm f2 (IS) lens, as I only do hand held, and think

it is possible without actually getting out a hex wrench... anyone know how? (there's nothing in the lens manual)

found this past post on removing the 300mm : http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00OknI

but none of those seems to work.

The lock screw unscrews to allow rotation, with click stops every 90 degs, but does not pull out any further than

that.

There is no red mark on collar to align with lens red dot.

I have gone around 360 degs pulling every which way but there seems to be no 'free' position.

anyone shed light?

If the collar is the same ones as used on other Canon lenses, You should start by slackening the locking screw, and then rotate the collar until the red dot on the lens aligns with the red dot on the collar. Then it'll just slip off in the direction of the lens mount.

Unfortunately the design has been changed so the collar can't be removed without major surgery (and I've yet to see a report as to whether that leaves the lens in an open heart condition): even removing the foot is a pain, requiring an Allen key to remove 4 bolts.