Is this lens worth buying?

gary_griffin

• 1 month later...

Gary, you might expect to pay almost $100 for repair. There are many of these that sell for under $200 in good condition.

There are three versions of the FD 100-300. The earliest is said to be optically the least desirable. The later version--which is easily identifiable by its different focusing grip ("dashes," not pyramids) and "macro" designation--seems to be better. Then there is the 100-300L, which I really have heard nothing about, which may tell us something in itself. I have the original, and used it for many years until I could afford other lenses. It served its purpose and I wasn't disappointed with the results, but I find I don't use it any more, between its slow speed and slightly poorer optics. It's hard to focus and one wishes it had a tripod collar.

I don't know this, but from appearances I fear that the two later versions are similar in materials to the 35-70/3.5-4.5 and the 28-85/4, both of which the barrels are prone to break. I have heard it said that the 100-300L is not as durable as L series lenses usually are.