Is this focus about right?

hakhtar

<p>In my opinion, (worth nothing!) it appears to show some signs of camera movement. So, I'd ask the same question as Scott, . . . Was IS on? and in addition, . . . Is your hand holding technique good with elbows tucked in etc., etc..?</p>

<p>With age, I don't have the hand holding ability that I did at one time. It has forced me to mostly use a tripod and ballhead. The IS was indeed a big help and is still used most often when any hand holding is attempted.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"... you have to eliminate all the variables except what you are testing."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly. What you have tested here with this sample shot is your ability to handhold a shot, not sharpness or accuracy of focus. :-)</p>

<p>If you don't have a tripod, then hold the camera firmly pressed down on a table top, deck railing, fence post or similar rigid structure and use the self-timer to release the shutter to test for focus accuracy.</p>

<p>+1 the last three posts!</p>

<p>In addition, I see from the pic of yourself in your profile that you do not firmly cradle the lens with the weight of the camera and lens centered over your wrist. Grips do vary slightly from photographer to photographer, and there are some very unusual ones used by very fine photographers. However, your grip is somewhat outside the norm. You may want to turn some attention to firming/steadying your grip. Maybe something more like this...</p>

<p><a href="http://dpexperience.com/2010/03/01/sharp-photos-when-you-cant-use-a-tripod/">http://dpexperience.com/2010/03/01/sharp-photos-when-you-cant-use-a-tripod/</a></p>

<p>See the illustration with the check mark in this article? Tuck your elbows to your chest, and you'll have a very common and generally successful hold.</p>

<p>I noticed Husain's profile portrait too Sarah, and thought the same thing.</p>

<p>Husain, the 7D's sharpness and ability to focus is superb - to this day not bettered by any other APS-C camera - but when handholding it needs very good technique and, ideally, high shutter speeds (1/320 is probably not high enough unless your handholding skills are exceptional).</p>

<p>Suffice it to say though that I use my 7D handheld exclusively: though I say it myself, my handholding technique is very good, and I have no problem with acheiving critically sharp, publication-quality images as a matter of course.</p>

<p><strong><a href="http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/">This</a></strong> for example is a slightly cropped image handheld at <strong>600mm</strong>, and it's as sharp as anyone could reasonably want.</p>

<p>But I've <em>worked</em> at this.</p>

<p>For completeness, another thing you need to rule out is whether this camera/lens combo needs some Manual Focus Adjustment (MFA)...</p>