Is this effect called as "Soft Contrast"?

<p>Hi friends,<br>

When I look at the images on websites like 500px, I always find them soft yet very sharp. They look very beautiful and don't feel harsh on your eyes. How to get this contrast which looks soft and at the same time makes the image look sharp too? Is this effect called as "Soft Contrast"? What's the procedure to get that effect using Photoshop CS6, especially in landscape images?<br>

Thank you.<br>

- John.</p>

<p>Some of it is what you might call the "Orton" effect, aka gaussian blur overlay. Duplicate the layer, blur it moderately with the gaussian blur filter, add a bit of contrast/brightness to the blur layer, change layer blending mode to overlay, then back off the opacity to 20% or so. Some people will only apply the effect to the highlights of the underlying layer, using a mask (the image itself) to block off the shadow areas from being affected.</p>

<p>This is only a piece of the post processing puzzle. There's a lot more that can go into a finished image. </p>

<p>Without links to specific photos that interest you we'd just be guessing. There are at least half a dozen popular "looks" being emulated by various portrait and landscape photographers. Some may just be actions applied to single photos. Others of those looks have uniquely complex shooting and/or editing techniques that aren't involved in the other looks. For example, Google the Brenizer technique or method and you'll see how involved the technique can be.</p>

• 2 years later...
<p>I think he is talking about artist like Keda Z: http://kedaz.zenfolio.com/signaturemasterpiece/h6fbad23a#h6fbad23a<br /> I am also curious about this technique too. I been looking for the name of the technique but have not find it. Yes, we all know it depend on how and when you shoot the image, but that is not what I am looking for. I am just simply looking for the photoshop techniques he uses, type or name. Maybe someone can shed some light.<br /> The Technique is exactly how John describe it, "Soft and sharp," not soft focus.</p>

• 3 years later...
In the 6 years since the OP asked the question I've never been able yet to find the answer to it. Responders asked for examples but go to any any fashion site such as the "The Fashionography" "Fashion gone rogue" or "Market Place Lookbooks" and you find that the vast majority of the photos there are exactly as the OP describes easy on the eye flat(ish) lower contrast yet sharp. It appears to be a general technique rather than a particular individual style. So in the intervening time has anyone perhaps stumbled upon the answer to the OP's question?

You move the 'Shallow' and 'Pointless' sliders fully to the right, with a heavy dose of 'Ephemeral' masking.

Click on the 'Step backward' button, then 'Redo'. Do this several times while stroking your own ego.

Add the preset called 'Only in the eye of the beholder' with maybe a touch of the 'King's new clothes' plugin and publish. Now wait for the fat cheques to roll in until the next 'cool look' takes over in about 3 days time.

• Like 2

Mac Holbert's Midtone Contrast might be the trick, can be done in Photoshop, introduced in LR/ACR and discussed here:

Using the Clarity Slider in Lightroom > Using the Clarity Slider in Lightroom | Adobe Press

I've got the recipe and an Action if you really want to do so in PS.

You can do negative clarity of course.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)