Is this a reasonable set up?

james_glucksman1

I am a 5D user, who frequently uses his camera for travel photography. My

current lens line up is the 17-40 f/4L, the 24-105 f/4L, the 70-300 f/5.6DO, and

the 50 f/1.4. I cannot decide if I would be better off with faster lenses, or

just make more regular use of my tripod. I also sometimes find I wish I had a

longer lens than the 300, but wonder if the 100-400 makes much sense. What does

anyone think?

James:

Two of your lenses have IS, so I would say no you probably dont't need a faster lens. Sure you could upgrade your wide to the 2.8 or add an 85 1.2. But that isn't going to get you much more speed.

I would suspect travel/night/interior shots are getting into several seconds. So, one or two more stops wont' cut it.

I would look into a table top tropod or beanbag. That's what I use for travel. My little bogen holds a DSLR with Wide to medium zoom lens no problem. For the long lens use a bean bag. You can almost alwyas find something like a trash can, railing or newspaper box to prop up on.

As for the longer lens, I would avoide the 100-400 for your needs. It's huge. And 3/4 of it is redeundant. Maybe the 400 5.6 prime which is much smaller/lighter and cheaper makes sense.

I have a 5D and the following lenses:

17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS, 50/1.4, 100/2. My only "slow" lens is the 100-400 but that is always used outside where lighting is ample. With the 5D I can always dial up the ISO to increase the shutter speed if necessary. I'm pleased with the performance of all my lenses, but wish the 100-400 had a rotating zoom control vs the push-pull design.

Thanks so much for all your responses! I have done some EXIF math, and do agree that the difference of one f-stop is not going to help very much with the shots that cause me to inquire about the faster lenses. Fortunately, the 5D handles high ISO well, so perhaps a long prime would be a sensible addition, keeping my current line up as is for most of my needs.

Hi James,

I think the key factor here is that you say you use your camera and lenses a lot for *travel* photography.

Many travel photographers choose to compromise on having the fastest lenses... Instead favoring more compact and lighter weight models that are inevitably a bit slower as well.

So, before you make any final decisions, ask yourself how much additional bulk and weight you are willing to haul around in airports and such, then carefully compare the lenses you are considering with the ones you already have.

Life is too short -- faster, better glass is always a reasonable, smart, and never-regrettable purchase for the Long Term. Your viewfinder, AF, and eyes will thank you.

Travel schmazzle!

(However, I never shoot longer than 200mm, so on that aspect I have no comment when it comes to "travel" lenses)

Key points as I see it: >>> 17-40 f/4L, the 24-105 f/4L, the 70-300 f/5.6DO, 50 f/1.4. [. . . ] sometimes find I wish I had a longer lens than the 300, [ . . . ] I have done some EXIF math, difference of one f-stop is not going to help very much [. . . ] so perhaps a long prime, keeping my current line up as is for most of my needs. <<<

Gaining one stop might (seemingly) might not be worth the trouble: but would two be worth it? and improved IQ, and . . .

Consider as a long term kit: selling the 70 to 300IS DO and getting:

. 70 to 200F2.8LIS,

. 300F4LIS

. x1.4MkII

IMO, this gives you: much faster; better IQ; a more flexible lens kit for separate lens choice for travel / choice for specific tasks; better AF; brighter viewfinder; and IS at 420mm, which the 400F5.6L does not.