Is this a lab issue ?

The vertical stripes corrispond to the sprocket holes. The film

(Reala) is developed at a pro lab and I scan the negs on a flatbed.

This shot is # 37 and several adjacent frames have similar markings.

Incidentally, what are the reddish bands down one side or other of a

frame? They show up more when scanning poor exposures I think.

The picure below is large to show off the 1930 Leica...and the said

stripes, to advantage.

Thank you for your help.

Adrian.<div>00G1Pj-29383584.jpg.c1465835d299f29af4e2671dca8e1a27.jpg</div>

I see the general changes in what would be the sprocket openings as opposed to the previous poster - not sure what to say on this one.

Either there's a light leak in the body/fogging during loading for processing (I doubt)/a scanning issue is my best guess. Do you also get prints made? If so do they have this issue? Is your scanner set up for film scanning or a normal flatbed?

Almost looks like there is light bouncing of the openings of the sprocket holes which is causing this - does your scanner's light source move in the same direction as these bands?

Adrian:

The pinkish bar you say is normal for all of your shots?

I may be off base here but it seems like when you're scanning that maybe the light source is moving transversely to your negatives & may be casting a light band across the negs.

What scanner are you using & are what are the neg holders like?

Lee, I think you're right; that makes good sense. Perhaps the curve of the negative is throwing light back against the glass. I will try turning the negs the other way up and reversing them in the program - which I do sometimes, anyway. That stripe has bugged me for years !

Tah!

The early interchangeable lens Leica's did not have a standardized film-to-flange distance. The lenses were matched to the distance on the particular camera they were made for, and engraved with the last three digits of the serial number.

Standardized means that they were measured for the 28.80mm standard distance. For a while, all standardized cameras and lenses had a 0 engraved at the top of the lens mount.

I do find it rather amazing that they ever made non-standardized cameras. What a bad idea. Really dampens the ability of customers to order additional lenses...

Hi Rob. The first 2,295 cameras with intercangeable lenses didn't have a standard lens-mount to film distance so lenses were dedicated to specific bodies and given the last 3 letters of the body serial #. The buyer had a choice of 3 Elmars - the 50, 135 and 35. The next year, 1931, The flange to film distance was set at 27.7mm so enabling any lens to be used on any body. I only have the matching 50 but have bought a 1930 135mm which I will match up for use. The camera has the bracket for a mask that flips over in front of the VF to make it 135. So I'm making one; a bit squinty but a very compact settup and beautifully ballanced in the hand.