Is there room for FUN?

fotografz

We're all so serious. It's a tough business right now. Lots of new folks, with lots of technical questions.

and so on ...

Yet, many of us shoot because we simply love it. It actually can be fun.

Does that translate into new fun ideas in your final product?

I've been having some fun with my clients beyond the usual fun. Just some visual "jokes" so to speak.

Here are a couple from my most recent wedding. It was an idea that came out of adversity. The painting

in the background was heavily varnished, and when I shot at the angle I wanted, it reflected like crazy. I

got shots without the glare, but hated the lower angle of the clients.

So, I stumbled on a fun notion to make "them" the painting. A little touch of the Surreal.

What these tiny web uploads can't show is that the image in the frame looks like a painting. Photoshop

has all kinds of filters including a canvas texture filter, and a filters that simulate painting techniques that

when applied subtly can trick the eye.

Cheesy? Perhaps. A novelty? For sure. But guaranteed to put a smile on your client's face : -)

Not my usual cup-of-tea ... but it helps keep a smile on my face also.

How do you keep a smile on your face? Let's share a smile.<div>00Oo1Z-42310184.thumb.jpg.438ae4a83e8c73a6bac0b09741008cef.jpg</div>

Those are certainly neat images Marc. I think that "fun" is a key component for good coverage. One of my personal wedding photography heros is Parker Pfister, his images and fine art background are incrediable but his wit, joy, and personality is what sets him miles apart from most pros.

I've put a wedding party in the males washroom, three bridesmaids in a spa tub, and set up some of the old staged shots (like the best man showing the groom his wristwatch and announcing how much time he has left as a "free man"). But I always aim for light & fun while doing the traditional altar shots and such. The sequence below reflects the joy and party atmosphere...we did these at the bride's home about an hour before the ceremony. I enjoy kidding the dads and reminding mom about the little girl that just attended her first day of school "not that long ago". Ideally a wedding is an all day party/celebration that has the potential to bring out the best (& sometimes not the best) in people and families.<div>00Oo3g-42311884.thumb.jpg.7909e83db5ecc46a5d11ad81129bf6e4.jpg</div>

Nadine, as I said in my post, it does look like a painting ... you just can't see it in a 511 pixel

wide web upload. I printed a color version of the bottom shot @ 17" X 22" so it gets pretty

subtile when reduced that much to show here. I'm sure Corel would also work.

Here's just the painting part that I used in the color version of the bottom composition. it's

only about 1/4 the actual printed size, so the detail is still lost on the web.<div>00OoJ4-42323884.jpg.012eaa053e9f35d9f407344046a5f0c9.jpg</div>

Fun idea! I haven't considered it before but I'm going to use this technique when having to deal with specular reflections of paintings but then replacing the painting with another shot of the same painting without the reflection. Maybe not as fun, but useful nevertheless.

Cheers,

Peter

Gotta give it to you, Marc, this is really some sharp and creative work. Bravo! I've included one I did of a local musician, from a photo shoot we did promoting her new CD. I had the idea of multiplying her, interacting with herself. Not a new idea, but the Photoshop work was significant, down to getting the floor reflections right. Lotta fun.

I love it Marc! Thanks for the cool idea (which I fully plan to steal from you). Yes, there is always room for fun. My whole approach when I do a wedding is to get everybody laughing and having a great time while doing their photos. I get quite a few good shots of people having a good time and they love the photos. It makes the bride and groom relax and makes the whole day go by as more of a party than a "job". Jobbbbb... BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Yeah yeah, we gotta make money, but I don't do this for the money. I do it because I LOVE IT and I have a blast. Hey, a week ago me and my assistant almost knocked over the wedding cake! That was funny. It would NOT have been funny if it actually happened, but the "almost" is funny anyway. But I digress...<div>00Ooii-42338584.thumb.jpg.6039542b0853f616b4ea753124a6a155.jpg</div>

(note: if you attach a shot make sure it's 500 pixels wide and includes a caption in the

space provided, or it'll show up as an attachment and the Moderators have to waste their

time telling you to do that)

Good ones everyone! I didn't necessarily mean FUN had to be PhotoShopped into a shot.

P.S., delivered that wedding yesterday, and the clients burst out laughing when I revealed

the 17 X 22 color print. They loved it!!!!

I really like what you've done Marc -- a lot! -- and having a very beautiful bride to work with certainly is an extra insipration. I'll steal yuour idea, OK? Please?

Also, Corri -- that is too funny! I did some shots on a swing set that are similar to yours during the reception, but you really got it -- was it luck, timing, or semi-planned?

I always find room for fun for every gig I do. I was hired by the City of Minnetonka to take

the basketball photographs. Much fun! Kids have lots of desire and spunk. I used remote

flashes, fired by pocket wizards and never had to replace any batteries at anytime during

the various games! I clamp the little devils to, whatever works!

I have fun at every photo event I do.

Thanks for the thread Marc!

Nice submissions from everyone!

Your old photographer photonet pal.