Is there an alternative product to the BG-E2 grip?

skip hansen

you may have heard nothingbut problems because people like me and loads more like me have one and find it works perfectly with no problems at all. i'm hardly likely to put up a post saying:

"my camera works exactly how it says in the manual, battery grip is perfect, all my lenses focus where they are meant to, the exposure with my canon flash is brilliant, i don't get error 99's, everything, clicks, whirrs and buzzes just as it should"

if you buy a grip that doesn't do as described, you are surely entitled to get it replaced or fixed

My point is: the reviews and comments I have read included trying to get some sort of satisfaction from whence it was purchased, ie, "sent it back to us" (you pay shipping), etc. The main issues seemed to be that it didn't seat tightly on the 20D and didn't provide a stable platform from which to mount longer lenses specifically. Hope that makes it clearer. I plan on getting one anyway since it will provide the additional shutter button for rotated camera angles and a longer battery life. HS...I didn't mean to seem like a whiner! Looks like someone needs a nap...maybe another pill or something.

I had one of the earlier BG-E2 grips and experienced problems including with electrical supply and fit. I sent it back to Canon who repaired it, free of charge and now I'm very happy that those problems have been corrected. After serial 95000 or so the problems seem to be minimal with this grip.

I think the battery is a gimic. Never had them with the old mechanical cameras. Unless you suffer from an inability to rotate your wrist I'd save your money for a more useful accessory. The life of the BP-511 battery is long enough not to require an additional battery in the camera. Much better to keep a spare battery in an inside pocket close to your body to keep it warm for use in cold weather. 7dayshop.com have a twin pack of compatible BP-511 batteries for ᆪ10.99 or a single battery for ᆪ6.99

• 10 months later...