Is there a way to COMPLETELY reset a D60??

jmublueduck aim

my D60 has been exhibiting abnormal red noise at long exposures. If I reset the

camera, or even the firmware, I'm hoping it might resolve whatever issue is going on,

as this didn't happen in the past.

question is... is there a way to reset the camera completely? I know you can revert

back to default settings, but I'm looking for more than that... to the point that I'll

need to re-upgrade the firmware.

thanks!

I'll try reinstalling the firmware... not a bad idea. What about removing the backup

battery (the one on the bottom similar to a battery on a motherboard)? Would that do

something?

Jay - my film cameras never needed resetting either. Obviously different

technology... digital is evolving & frankly I like it better than film. Then again, I'm 12

years younger than your Nikon F & I've grown up using computers as tools on a daily

basis. No big deal.

um... what's a CLA?<p>

This photo depicts the problem well: <a href="http://face5.net/temp/

CRW_2143_RT16.jpg">http://face5.net/temp/CRW_2143_RT16.jpg</a>. The

exposure settings are a bit odd, but I needed a long exposure to show the

problem, most apparent in the dark areas of the shot.<p>

details:<br>

- D60 w/ 16-35/2.8 @ 35mm<br>

- 127 seconds @ f/22 (it was a fairly dark part of the room)<br>

- iso100, shot in RAW, saved as jpeg:8, no sharpening.<p>

The issue of shooting in [summer] heat was brought up when I took this into a shop,

as the sensor heats up over continuous use; this photo was taken this after allowing

the camera to sit in front of a fan (seen in the photo) for 2-3 hours in an air-

conditioned room. In addition, this was the first shot taken that afternoon to avoid

any issues of the sensor heating up.<p>

thanks...

Hot pixels, maybe? Compare the coordinates between two shots with the same problem.<br/>

<br/>

CLA is <a href="http://www.photo.net/mjohnston/column18/">Clean, Lube, Adjust</a> -- a trip to the repair shop. There's a little something to that comment about the Nikon film camera, but I think the posting was just trolling for a fight from Canon digital users. The issue isn't that simple (e.g., instant feedback, self-processing, and self-administered firmware upgrades, etc.)

First a "CLA" is Clean, Lube, Adjust: a general tune-up of a mechanical camera.

The best reset I have come up with is to remove both the main battery and backup battery that you mention, wait a few minutes (maybe less) and then put them all back. You will now be back to exposure 1 and default settings. As for resetting "to the point that I'll need to re-upgrade the firmware" no can do. When you upgraded you erased (read destroyed) the previous version. The only way are getting that back is if you have a copy from somewhere. You don't want to blow away your current firmware because then the camera will be totaly dead and unable to load new firmware. You would need to send it back to Canon which is probably what you will have to do to solve the problem in any event since I seriously doubt that it is a soft/firmware problem. More likely a sensor in the early stages of developing stuck pixels IMHO.

I'm wondering if you are getting the same pattern on every exposure.</p>Just to see what would happen, I did a <a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~brijdiaz/139_3965.JPG"><u>test</u></a> of a 2 minute exposure @ f5.6 iso 100 on my 10D. I found a few mostly blue or purple spots, but on each exposure, they were in the exact same places. I suppose someone more knowledgeable than I would have to explain what exactly this indicates, but that's why it's a forum, right?

Hmm, just shot a roll of Kodachrome 64 yesterday, got it all developed today and I don't see any noise or anything, just a bunch of pretty, tack sharp chromes. I had to pay for my roll yes, but I didn't have to pay for it with anywhere near the amount of frustration you have had to pay to try to get similarly good photos. Guess that annoying noise might be what you get when you buy a digicam in these youthful days of the technology.

All digital fights aside you guys that are trying these cameras and giving feedback are helping the technology to progress. If it were not for your efforts (and all others who use digi-SLRs) to fix this noise problem then the image quality may never get better from the guys at Canon.

You know, I think that film and digital are more similar than a lot of people accept. For example, we are talking about 2 minute exposures. Kodachrome 64 is not recommended for anything over 1 second due to its reciprocity failure. Working with young technology is definitely a risky business, but sometimes change can be good. I mean, who here has complained that we aren't all making daguerreotypes?

WELL FOLKS, WE'RE BACK IN BUSINESS!! :)<p>

I'm thrilled. I reinstalled the firmware, did an 80 second exposure @ f/22 (doing this

test at noon doesn't make long exposures easy) , & didn't see the problem... a little

noise was there, yes, but no where near the amount of red as before.<p><a

href="http://www.face5.net/temp/CRW_2148_RT16.jpg">here</a> it is... camera

sharpening off, shot in RAW, saved as jpeg:8 w/ no adjustments. Again, it's a boring

shot but I needed dark & light areas to test.<p>thanks to all who helped with this,

gave me input, did test exposures, etc... it's much appreciated.