Is there a Minolta MD to Leica R converter?

drjedsmith

I'm wondering if there is a way to use Minolta MD Rokkor primes on a Leica

body, such as the R4? I've gone back to Minolta manual focus bodies, and the

lack of a spot meter is killing me (shooting slides). I've either got to get

better at guessing or something - the metering in the Maxxum 7 spoiled me! :-)

<BR><BR>

Now I could get a hand held spot meter, or I was thinking if there was an

adaptor, I could just pick up a Leica R4, and have an XD-11 with a spot meter

built in.<BR>

Just a thought,<BR>

Jed

Hi,

If you could get an adaptor you then only get stop-down metering anyway..seems a bad and cock-eyed way to gain spot metering, especially when Minolta made some lovely hand held spot meters.

By the way, I have shot slides for 25 years with fantastic results with centre-weighted metering, I really do not get the need for spot metering anyway. The odd occasion it may be required is easily circumvented by bracketing..

cheers Steve.

Hmmm...I didn't think about the stop-down metering issue. Well, probably not a good idea, then.<BR><BR>

I just need to use these cameras more - I was just so used to the Maxxum 7's metering that my first roll didn't turn out as well in the X-570. I will use the XD-11 a bit more again, and see if I can get my skills back. :-) Used to do pretty good with one back in the day.<BR>

Jed

Hi Jed,

now you found the reasons for the evolution of modern camera construction ;-)

I guess you'll need some rolls of slide film to find the specific charateristics of your light meters and how they work with your film. Even with spot meters you'll have to work that out. Cameras light meters can differ up to one stop or even more, not only between brands or models but within one model.

With centre-weighted metering and slide film I found it generally helpful to read the brighter parts of the scene and hold the reading. In this case a manual camera or the memory lock of your X-570 is of more practical use than the XD-models.

N.B. The Leica R4 has a reputation of not being very reliable. Many faults in the electronic. I guess in those days Minolta made better cameras.

Stefan

• 14 years later...