Is there a Farmer's Reducer equivalent for digital prints?

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by troll, Feb 1, 2017.

  1. I've got an otherwise absolutely perfect print that needs about 1/3 stop lighter area in one small important area. This was printed 10 years ago and it took a long time for me to figure out what needed to be done.
  2. Use a dodge or burn tool on the area.
  3. I'm not in about to reprint the image -- I just want to lighten a tiny little area on the print that exists.
  4. Whether this is possible depends on what chemical process made the print. Assuming, that is, that's it's possible for any of them.
    I vaguely recall Farmer's Reducer, but always thought it was for negatives. Was it also for prints?
    Anyway, in the digital world, you mess with the digital file, not the print, so I have a feeling there's nothing out there for you.
  5. Farmers reducer works on negatives or silver (b&w) prints. It won't work on inkjet, dye sub, or RA4 color prints.
  6. Do you have a similar print on which you can make a test or two? If so you could start with an oxygen bleach, like Oxy-Clean, then work up to stronger solutions or chlorine bleach. Maybe just plain water would remove enough dye/pigment?
    To Marc and Mike, the OP did say "Farmer's Reducer equivalent" in the title.
  7. 1. Printer papers are not designed for wet processing. This is ink, not light sensitive silver.

    2. Lighter shades are not created by diluting the inks.

    3. Just curious, you stated you're " not about to reprint the image". I interpret that to mean you'll live with the area darker
    before you'd reprint it. Why not adjust the file and reprint?
  8. Tony Parsons

    Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

    The OP hasn't stated it is a digital print, nor that he has a digital version which he can print - or even whether it is monochrome or colour.
    My reading is that it is possibly a commercially produced 'wet print', and the negative is no longer available. It may be possible to scan
    in the print to give an acceptable digital version, which the OP could either manipulate in software as he pleases, or get this performed
    by someone else, either way leaving the original pristine, if not to the OP's liking.
  9. @ Tony Parsons: "The OP hasn't stated it is a digital print..."
    In the title of his post, the OP states "... Farmers Reducer equivalent for digital prints?"
  10. Tony Parsons

    Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

    Apologies - should read entire thread before opening keyboard !
  11. Do a high res scan of the original print, adjust and reprint. That way you only have to do one adjustment. Doesn't sound like there is much you can do otherwise.

Share This Page