Is the speedlite 200e compatible with XTi

robert_tan1

I am not sure if the Speedlite 200e technology is usable with my rebel xti?

Some people have said that the voltage/amps were too high for the xti and

might fry it's circuits.

Does anyone own the 200e and used it on the Xti?

If so,i am interested with the results.

Thanks a lot!

Robert

It won't work properly.

There's no way to tell the flash what ISO is set on the body, and there's no way to know what aperture the flash has selected.

It won't damage the body but you'll get poor results.

You might be able to use it with the body in M mode with a shutter speed of 1/125 and experiment with aperture. I'd try ISO 200 and f:5.6 to start with.

Henry

According to <a href="http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html">[this chart]</a> the voltage should be very safe for your camera. I am not familiar with the model but if it has manual facilities then you can use it like you would any non intelligent, general purpose flash. Read about Canon flashes at <a href="http://www.photonotes.org/flash/">Photonotes</a>

thanks so much guys..it was a trusty friend that served me well togeter with my EOS1000 (15 years old,wow) and since the price of film has gone up in Europe,esp.CH,i had to buy a digital slr and i had been admiring the xti for ages..easy choice since my 1000 never had problems except the tar deposits on the shutter leaves,grrr..

happy new year guys and take care!

The 200E was designed as a TTL flash. To get it to fire at all with a DSLR you may need to block the TTL signalling contact. You will then only have full power flash so you would need to adjust aperture (and ISO) to be consistent with your subject distance. Full power provides a guide number of 20 basis metres and ISO 100. I don't think it is a very practical proposition.

Wow,you guys are really smart.

Happy new year to all of you from the great white north>> Canada,haahaa..

Yea,i once went to Future shop and tried out my 200e on the xti demo model and it flashed and the pix was on the lcd,pretty good and sharp too..I don't know what the settings were as i was new to it..but it somehow worked and i was really impressed..that means i don't have to buy a new one like 430EX with the tilt up function for bouncing the flash >>especially good in indoor photography...costs US$240...yikes...that really is one hot potato!

I will have to wait for something else or see if one of those that attach by cable might work.

I have been reading into this:

Wein Safe-Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe High Voltage Sync Regulator (SSHSHS) and am not sure if it can help me.

Link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/245292-REG/Wein_W990560_Safe_Sync_Hot_Shoe_to.html

costs US$50..

Those good old days of simple plug and play are gone and all these new techie needs smart brains to figure what goes with what...jeees,all this do's and don'ts really take the fun out of taking pix...no wonder sometimes i get a migraine reading thru all the reviews,heeheee...or maybe i am getting Alzeheimer from drinking contaminated lead water in Toronto?

Anyway,nice knowing all of you guys and the good advice will always be appreciated..:)

Robert