Is the sony a7sii the best camera for filming in the dark or without lighting?

johngoodman

The A7Sii is better than an A7ii or A7Rii for video in general, and has about 2 stops better noise performance than the A7Rii. The A7Sii also shoots without the need for resampling, which is cleaner and faster.

There are a lot of affordable (< $10K) Super-35 video cameras which have much better ergonomics and features for that purpose than the A7Sii, and aren't limited to 29 minute clips. The limit is due to tariff regulations, and has nothing to do with overheating. I have used A7ii and A7Rii cameras for two or more hours at a stretch, pausing only to reset the 29 minute limit or change batteries.

You need some light for video, but not very much. You can shoot in light too dim to see the controls with the "slow shutter" option. Some video cameras have an IR option, with or without an invisible IR source, which is for all practical purposes, in the dark. Sony A7 cameras have an effective IR filter which prevents such use.

Edited by Ed_Ingold

• 4 weeks later...
I have a Canon XF100 video camera, which has an IR option, with or without using a built-in light supply. However there is no exposure control. Both the shutter and diaphragm are disabled. I guess they don't want you using it in daylight, since many fabrics are somewhat transparent to IR.