Is the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G dust sealed?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by toan_pham|1, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Just got my new Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G and it's already got a spec of lint/dust in it. Pretty big one too. Just wondering
    if these lenses are meant to be weatherproof, are they also dust proof? In case the seals are not working and dust
    gets in.

Could someone with this same lens share if their's have dust in it?

Otherwise I am VERY IMPRESSED with sharpness, even wide open. Can see all tiny holes on my speaker grill from
    2 meters away.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Unless the lens instruction sheet indicates the lens is 'dustproof' - 'weather proof' - 'water proof' -- chances are good the lens is not weatherized. The sole line of Nikon gear that is/was 'water proof' is not longer in current production -- Nikonos equipment.

Enjoy your new lens.

3. They are not weatherproof but rather, perhaps at best weather resistant. As the 'breath' when you zoom, they are not and can't really be dust proof.

4. what's the point of having these extremely rugged bodies if even the highest end lenses need to be babied while
    in use!?!

5. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Nikon F mount lenses still use a mechanical lever at the mount to control the closing of the aperture diaphragm. Therefore, they cannot be sealed. Pretty much each one of my Nikon lens has some dust inside. IMO it is not a big deal. Lenses are meant to be used to capture images, not meant to be kept in prestine condition for admiration. Perhaps some collectors may disagree ...

6. Babied? It's a spec of dust, people.

7. It's brand new, only been zoom in and out <15times. Maybe I have too high expectation of the build of their Pro lenses.

8. The "zoom" is mostly internal in the 24-70, not like an old push-pull zoom or a consumer lens that extend three times its normal length. As to the dust particle - don't worry about it. For one, it will have no effect on the image quality. For another, the lens acts like a magnifying glass, exaggerating the apparent size of the particle.

9. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Toan, it is merely a matter of time that some dust will get inside. If you are a photographer, I wouldn't worry about it. One trick that has been mentioned here is to use a vacuum cleaner to attempt to suck it out from the apertur lever opening in the mount (that I mentioned earlier). Whether that works or not I don't know. It probably depends on where the dust is.

Believe it or not, every time you take a picture, you are shooting through a lot of dust, with an emphasis on a lot.

10. I will enjoy my lens as is. From personal experience, any of my attempts to clean lenses only result in worse outcomes :( Thanks for all your reassurances.

11. I live in a high dust area against the mountains in the northern parts of Los Angeles. I've had my 24-70 since April/May.... Everything I own & everything in the house is pretty much always covered with dust - - no matter what I do. I have no problem with dust - - that I can see on or rather within any of my lenses.

Since the lens is new - - why not just send it in to Nikon & ask them to clean it & check it....

That way you want be irritated by it. It will be taken care of & should your lens not have been properly "sealed" or whatever may be the cause.... Nikon will get a chance to fix it for you.

JMHO

Lil :)

12. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Lil, if the vacuum clearner trick doesn't work (just keep in mind that it could potentially make it worse), I don't think it
    is a good idea to send it back to Nikon for dust removal. First of all they might just reject the request; if I were Nikon,
    I would reject such requests. But if they do attempt to remove it, most likely they'll have to take the lens apart. There
    is no guarantee that they'll put it back together as well as they did from the factory. I had to send my 17-55 back to
    El Segundo for repair since I dropped it inside a camera bag. I think the right and left sides are still not quite even
    ever since.

Worst yet, some dust will certainly get inside again within a few weeks.

This really isn't an equipment problem. It is all psychological.

13. Can you provide a sample picture ruined by this speck? All my lenses have dust in them, none of my bad pictures can be attributed to this. I would just accept it, and take pictures.

14. If the dust does show up in pictures , couldn't it just be removed in post processing ?

15. There is no way dust *inside* a lens can show directly up in a photograph. The rays aren't properly focused there
    if you allow me the pun.

Dust on the sensor is another story, but will mainly manifest itself if the lens is stopped well down.

16. Shun,

personally I would not put my lenses through the vacuum cleaner idea - - logically I don't see that working on the 24-70 (at least not mine) Fact is, I don't think I have a single lens I believe has enough "space" that the vacuum cleaner could make a difference. But maybe I'm blessed with "tight" lenses. :)

Actually I think Nikon would have to service the lens. It's practically brand new & unless Gerald's taken it into a sandstorm - - you see where I'm going.....

My 24-70 seems fine since it went to El Segundo..... I have a photography friend who just stopped in his tracks when he saw some of the shots I'd taken with it. He actually asked me point blank which lens I'd used - - so I told him. Later I asked him why he asked & he just started raving about the bokeh & sharpness of the lens. So I guess I'm lucky.... You should have bought my 17-55 when I was selling it, you would have had no such problems. :) The guy who got it sent me an e-mail immediately after having tested it & he could not stop raving about how sharp it is. I'm thrilled he's happy with it..... It was hard to give it up, but after getting the 14-24 & the 24-70 I just felt there was no reason to actually keep it.

BTW - - I love the 14-24 & 24-70 on my D300 - - they fit me like a glove :)

Lil :0

17. Well, supposedly we all came from dust and will return to dust. So perhaps what you have is someone, but you don't know whether he is coming or going!

18. Toan, if it's brand new and came with a huge particle of dust that bothers you, I would disuss with Nikon about it
    and go from there.

Dust is not supposed to affect the image quality, however, I wonder -- this is always a nagging thought -- if a huge
    particle can potentially deflect light in some way, I would hate to see the effect hitting a crucial spot of the scene. If
    this is non-
    sense, would a knowing party please correct me, as I would not want to spread misinformation.

Anyhow, my 24-70 has no dust particle that is visible to me. If it came with a huge particle, it would psychologically
    bother me, no matter what.

Mary

19. Well.. this is the 3rd sample i've been through. The 1st one had a rub mark on the front element. 2nd had a 15mm scratch on front element. this 3rd one has dust in it.

I guess it's the best one isn't it? As for sending it back to Nikon, Camera Clinic in Melbourne (ie. the only official service centre) does not have a clean room. Last time I sent a 24-85mm AF-S back to them, it came back worse with swirl marks on the inner elements and more dust than before i sent it.

regards,

toan.

20. MD,

Try the experiment of holding a finger immediately in front of the lens. The finger will be extremely out of
    focus due to depth of field - you might not even see it. A speck of dust inside the lens will be even more
    invisible.

If enough dust accumulates, the lens _might_ lose some contrast but it will be a significant amount of dust
    before you get to this point.

No single spec of dust is going to block a crucial spot of the scene.

And as Shun points out, the F mount uses a mechanical aperture lever. But at least some of the G lenses uses a
    gasket where the lens aperture ring used to be. So even though the G lenses aren't compatible with some of the
    older mechanical bodies, at least you gain the gasket sealing which should somewhat improve weather resistance.

21. I can understand what you are saying. I have soft focus filters which have something like water drops on it. It's
    meant to soften the image. I have also shot through chain-linked fences with softened results. If this holds, then this
    almost sounds like a scratched lens would not matter as well. But I bet very few, if any, would tolerate a lens with
    scratches as brand new.

Mary

22. With all due respect, sometimes the discussions on this page are absurd.

I recently purchased the 24-70 and 14-24. The build quality and image quality are outstanding on both lenses.

Just take good pictures and enjoy your lens.

Doug Santo
    Pasadena, CA

23. "Just take good pictures and enjoy your lens. "
    Good point. But the related questions raised were not absurd. :)
    Mary

24. Doug, with all due respect, that's the sort of comment that tends to stifle free and open *constructive* discussion and intimidates newcomers who may feel unwelcome to ask questions due to fear of being ridiculed.

We weren't all born knowing all of this stuff.

25. It is dust sealed but apparently this is a common problem with 24 - 70. There are many people complaining about the dust and some grinding noise. I ordered my 24 - 70 from Amazon, it had many little flakes or dust looked like tiny metal particles. I immediately returned it to Amazon. It may or may not affect the image quality I can not be sure, but I paid hard earned £1193 for it and I deserve a flawless product. At the end of the day if you are not happy with it just return it and get a better one. I think Nikon has to improve it's quality control. By the way on the second one I only saw some tiny particles but nothing compare to the first one which I can live with.