Is the Contax G2 an Orphan?

markdeneen

<p>I really like the features of the Contax G2 system. I've given some thought to purchasing one from one of the reputable used camera dealers. Then I discovered Kyocera is totally out of that business since 2005 or so. A camera that complicated could blow any number of ICs or uPs or what have you, and I wonder if the camera would be junk then? These babies are somewhat spendy, and I would hate to get caught with a titanium doorstop.</p>

<p>Anyone have an informed opinion about how repairable or serviceable these cameras are? There isn't a lot of comparable cameras to the G2. (Uh, maybe there's a good reason for that?)</p>

It costs about as much to replace a g2 body as it does to service a Leica.

There are also a number of independent camera shops that will service them,

including KEH, which I seem to recall was granted the official service contract

when Contax folded. There are plenty of parts cameras out there.

<p>"It costs about as much to replace a g2 body as it does to service a Leica."</p>

<p>Heh, heh. Ok, that's funny. Well, that's good news to hear. I've bought a lot of gear recently from KEH, and been very happy with them.</p>

<p>Maybe this G2 is more real now.....</p>

<p>I know a couple of guys who shoot the G2, and they use these cameras hard. A couple of the cameras are brassed and dented beyond what you might believe, but both still work perfectly well. These guys tell me they would never use anything else. I am tempted, I found a black G2 kit with 2 lenses for a good price, I may end up picking it up next week.</p>

<p>Mark, the Contax cameras are still factory supported by TOCAD. http://www.kyoceraimaging.com/bulletins/csb2.htm</p>

<p>I had a 120 APO Makro destroyed by a dust storm in Egypt. It went back to Japan for service.</p>

<p>I've used a G2 extensively, all lenses except the 28. The 35-70 is very very versatile, the Hologon is spectacular and in of itself a good reason to have a G2. BTW, the Mars Rover NAVCAMs are a Biogon/Hologon hybrid.</p>

<p>Now you are going to get a few to say that it is so loud that it woke their neighbor 2 doors down, that the AF didn't work. The camera is a frigging jewel, use one and decide for yourself if it's a good fit.</p>

<p>As Josh noted, all G owners wanted a digital version. The G chassis would have made a great launching point.</p>

<div>00XS1y-288787584.thumb.jpg.cd4fe9a519305bea4a717b0bec967e2c.jpg</div>

<p>Mark,<br>

Some of my favorite lenses are those for the Contax G2. I highly recommend the 45mm Planar, 90mm Sonnar, 28mm Biogon and the 21mm Biogon; the best of these are the two Biogons and the Planar. The 35mm Planar is a good lens too, but it's not quite their equal with regards to contrast and resolution, especially wide open. Have heard only marvellous reports on the 16mm Hologon (BTW the only lens built at Zeiss's Oberkochen facility; the others were built at Kyocera's former optical plant under strict Zeiss supervision (An analogous situation exists for the Zeiss SLR and M-mount lenses currently manufactured at Cosina.). I haven't used the zoom lens so I can't comment.</p>

<p>Well, I acquired a G1 at a nice price with a 90mm Sonnar and decided to plunge into this system. I am looking for some of the wide angles now. The camera is really marvelous in every way so far. I've only shot a couple rolls through it and did my own developing and scanning on a so-so Plustek. I think the AF works nicely, and probably is better than I can do manually with my other cameras. There is a nice simplicity to this complicated piece of machinery. I think it's wonderful that it is not all "gadgeted up" with too many buttons and the like.</p>

<p>I now have two really nice RFs - the Bessa R and this Contax. I don't know if I will ever find time to shoot my SLRs anymore!</p><div>00XV3C-291277584.jpg.ad014714caead99b9bfd7c5c3c1bbff1.jpg</div>