Is the Auto Tamron 80-250mm f/3.8 any good?

<p>I was looking at used lenses in a camera shop and came across a nice looking Auto Tamron Zoom 80-250mm 1:3.8 ; in Adaptall mount with built in tripod mount. It also comes with the Adaptall Minolta mount. The shop wants 99 dollars for it, But i cannot any good information about the lens online. I plan to use it on both my Minolta x700 and Panasonic G1 cameras. Does anyone have any experience with the lens or can tell me anything about its IQ?<br>

I want it to replace my Sigma 70-250 which i don't like much</p>

<p>Why don't you bring in the appropriate adaptor and test it out on the G1. The images should tell you a bit of the lens. At the least if it's worth $99. Maybe do the same with x700 with film. If the shop has nothing to hide and want the sale...I doubt they would mind. </p>

<p>Those lenses may have the adaptamatic mount which is fiddly and difficult to use. Also those. lenses are heavy. Even if it's Adaptall I or II which is a better system the $99 is much too high.<br>

As I remember the Auto Tamron series is Adaptamatic or fixed mount, avoid it IMHO! The builtin tripod mount tells me it's heavy, old and only moderately competent. </p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I had one & it was taken out of my gear that was in storeage.<br>

I used it on my Minolta SRT 101 camera, bought 1966 & still have.<br>

Once I put it on the camera & rarely took it off.<br>

I have many slides taken with the lens also my Rokkors, 58mm 1.4 35mm 2.8 & 135mm 2.8.<br>

Difficult to tell the difference. Mick Kemsley, Norwich England.</p>