Is the 100mm Macro lens tripod collar necessary?

dillan k

I've decided to purchase one of my dream lenses: the Canon EF 100mm

f2.8 USM Macro. I see that the tripod collar is another $144 or so.

Ouch! I am planning on biting the bullet and paying for it, but I'd

like a few opinions on it from those of you who've owned it before I

take the plunge. Thanks!

Hi Dillan, IMHO, no. It's not a heavy lens so it's not like it tends to make things "sag" when just the camera is mounted on a tripod. Now a much heavier lens - say the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS - definitely needs the (included) collar. There may be some who disagree with me but I haven't missed it. Good luck!

Most of the time, no. But it has come in handy for me on a couple of occasions at high

magnification: extension tubes and extender adding to the bulk and 'front-heavyness' of the

lens if the tripod supports just the camera.

It is very awkward to use, and rather bulky. I'd skip it and find out from your own use

whether it would be important. For me, that's not often.

There are times when a collar is REALLY handy, but since the cost is a stretch for you, I'd put the money towards an L-bracket instead. Once in a great while you'll curse the lack of the collar (as in the 1:2 situation someone mentioned), but in general you'll find an L-bracket more broadly useful with a variety of lenses.

Buy the lens first, then see if you need the collar.

The collar is one of those silly-money items, and consists of a version of the Type B 'puzzle' collar used on a number of white L-series lenses, and a pathetically badly designed plastic spacer fitting between it and the lens barrel. If you ever buy a 300/4IS or 100~400, the white Type B collar supplied with the lens will fit the 100/2.8USM, although the foot may be a little different, provided you can obtain the plastic spacer as a spare part.

Oh, and a couple of further thoughts.

The ET-67 hood for this lens is enormous, and no doubt very effective. If you want a compromise that is a bit neater, the ET-67B hood for the EF-S 60/2.8 fits perfectly.

If you decide to add a macro flash (MR-14EX or MT-24EX) to your kit later on, be aware that you cannot fit a filter on the lens with the flash ring in place. The MT-24EX ring has a filter thread at the front. For the MR-14EX, the only solution I know of is to screw a Macrolite Adapter 58 into the filter and mount the flash ring on that instead of on the lens directly.

The 100mm f2.8 macro is a great lens.

A tripod collar would be useful if you are doing extensive work with a focus rail on a tripod but I don't bother due to the cost. Mostly I shoot insects with this lens, they are mobile enough and difficult enough to get to I tend to work hand held or with a monopod or short stub pod.

I know this collar is common to some other lenses but I understand it needs some form of adaptor that may not come with other lenses.

You can manage with a sturdy tripod and ball head but you should get some focussing rails they are essential.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are focusing rails?

I have this lens and the tripod collar. I have found the collar large and cumbersome to use but I haven't ventured into macro photography seriously. I use this lens as one of my street lenses. As sharp as L series lenses...one of Canon's best ever lenses. You'll love it.

I use mine with a ef12 extender, and hood, and sometimes 2X Achromatic close up off a 144 rc manfrotto with no probs. The only problems i've had is with the hood annhilating working distance, even without said other attachments. Because the lens doesnt suffer from too much flare i usually use without the hood if im chasing bugs etc. Probably better to save for a flash instead of the collar, if you dont have one.

"Excuse my ignorance, but what are focusing rails?"<p>

These are devices that allow a camera and lens to be moved forward and backward (and perhaps side to side) with fine control - extremely useful for macro photography. They are also useful for making stiched panoramas, for positioning the optical "center" of the lens (nodal point, exit pupil, whatever...) over the pivot point of the tripod head. See for example:<p>

<a href=http://www.adorama.com/MCFRS.html?searchinfo=focussing%20rail&item_no=3>

http://www.adorama.com/MCFRS.html?searchinfo=focussing%20rail&item_no=3</a>.<p>

This accessory would be far more useful than a tripod collar. You might find a used one on eBay as I did. Enjoy your macro photography!

No tripod collar.

The L-plate suggestion is pretty good. I swear by them. The only downside is that you don't rotate exactly about the center of the lens (the lens is higher in portrait orientation than landscape orintation on most gripless camera's and vice versa on most cameras with a grip).

I have to say that most of my macro shots are taken handheld. For my money therefore the best accessory would be some form of flash bracket. You don't need a fancy ringflash. I use a 550EX with a softbox diffuser. My macro lens is a simple design which uses lens extension instead of internal focusing. The result is even in sunlight you can set the camera to f16 and 1/250 and not bother about ambient. The power output is low (for the 550EX) and so recycling times are short. I rock backward and forward and take a number of shots.

I have never bothered with a focusing rail with geared movements though a do have a RRS rail that slides through my quick release for a similar effect. The tripod setup with focusing rails is useful for botanicals but not so useful for moving subjects.

I find the tripod collar for the 100/2.8, which uses a plastic adapter for this specific lens, unecessary except when using a flash bracket to shoot macro, especially with two flashes. I prefer a macro flash bracket from Kirk or Really Right Stuff that attaches to the quick release plate for the collar's foot. Then, when shooting verticals, you rotate just the lens/camera, and the flashes stay put. The collar is very handy for that single purpose.

For long exposures, I frequently use the tripod ring mount from my 300/4 L IS on my 100/2.8 Macro USM. It makes it possible to rotate from horizontal to vertical modes (i.e. landscape to portrait) without having to compensate for the sideways movement caused by rotating the tripod head (L-brackets are only good for jamming your fingers). It also provides better balance and much less wobble on focus rails (as discussed earlier). You need a "Canon tripod collar adapter" to fit the 300's ring mount on the 100/2.8 lens. It is kind of cheap and plastic (as mentioned earlier), but then it would cost a lot more than the $40 CA that I paid (including shipping) if it was a precision adapter made from metal. I ordered it from an authorized Canon repair centre, as the camera shops had no idea what it was or how to get it. With a 20D, you cannot rotate the tripod-mounted lens when the barrery grip is attached. IMO the 100/2.8 Macro with tripod ring on a 20D with no grip is the best solution for long duration exposures. If you don't already have a tripod ring collar B or B(W), then it's worth buying a new 300/4 L IS to get one (the attached lens is a bonus).

I have owned this Macro Lens 100mm 2.8 for about 3 1/2 years. I have not found any need for a tripod collar. I think you interest would be best served by investing that money instead on a Macro Focusing rail. I think I spent 120 dollars a few years ago at B&H photography and bought a the focusing rail and a set of Kenko (3) extension tubes. My entire Macro set up includes the above plus a set of 3 close up diopters and a macro ring light. I will admit that when I have so much stacked the camera seems very lens heavy and if I had a collar I would use it, but would not purchase one. I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
I do not understand why some of you are saying this is not a heavy lens. It's 1 1/2 pounds and feels heavier than my camera. I also had a question about the tripod collar as I was worried about the lens flexing the camera when mount on the tripod without a support.