Is requesting selective rating ethical?

hanna_cowpe

I recently received an email from a member of photonet requesting me

to refrain from rating or commenting on their photo's because they

felt they were not high enough. They were 5's and 6's with one 4 for

originality. Two were accompanied with compliments and no criticisms

were made. The comment was also made that they did not rate mine

because they would have to rate them very low. Is this considered

fair play or ethical behaviour by photonetters?

If the person who E-mailed you wants a photo rated, he or she will post it on Photo Net. If they want to 'favor' the rating, perhaps they need to find somewhere else on the Net to post their 'fine' work.

(Or click on the button 'not for public viewing.')

Life is tough at times!

unethical... where's the ethics??? they can ask, but since they have no control over it... there's no ethics question.

It's a bit odd... but then why rate mediochre stuff? what is the point of giving someone a low mark. Does it make you feel better about your photography.

The act of viewing their picture at all is giving them validation. so... just aviod that person... mentally blacklist them... and then problem solved.

Ratings is an odd concept anyway. it has no REAL value other than to get photos into the Top lists. and why is that valuable... only really so that you have the opportunity to be seen by more patrons, and hav the potential for more comments... and why are comments good? because every once in a while... someone give true meaningful constructive critique.... and I learn something. I've said it before.... people should be able to rate comments as helpful or not... and people should gain recognition as "teachers"... by being good critiquers... as opposed to armchair critics and back patters ;)

just some thoughts...

they were complaining over a 4... hehehe didn't quite realize that! hehehehe har har

just sit back and laugh. Because really... there's no prize for high ratings... it doesn't win you the lottery. I don't see why people are so bloody uptight about these "ratings"

THEY JUST DONT REALLY MATTER IN THE GRAND SCHEME.... or do they (rolling my eyes)

I've seen your images, Hanna, and they don't deserved to be rated

'very low', so this sounds like a threat to retaliate in the future.

That is abuse that should be reported.

Having said that, I would suggest that you, and everyone else, stop

using the current 'originality' and 'aesthetics' designation. I'm

fairly certain it will be discontinued soon. 'Four' currently means

'fair / average' which could indeed be considered an insult to an

advanced photographer. If you think a subject has been done to death,

maybe just leave it alone. . . . . . .

So, a person has the crust to email you off list and request that you refrain from rating their work because they didn't like your ratings. As far as I am concerned they should be given a warning by the moderators that this is inappropriate behavior and the next time it happens they should banned and their work deleted. Good bye, good riddance. Getting tough and setting standards of behavior is the only way to stop this baby crap that has given Photo Critique a bad name. I really don't know who the hell some of these people think they are or what's wrong with them but we certainly don't need them here.

As long as you mark objectively and and consistently, then you should keep rating and commenting on posted images.

IMO the objective of posting images is to subject them to peer review, not to give you a nice warm feeling. If the person whose images have been reviewed can't take valid criticism, then they need to grow up or not post images for comment.

I personally don't like the originality mark ,as I think there are very few "original" images and that technique and composition are more important than originality.

Simon

In black and white, everyone's a hero!

From the Ratings tab shown with every photo.net photograph:

<p><i>

Note: You will not be able to use the ratings of 1-2 or 7 if you have not already commented. Others will be able to see your rating in order to foster discussion. (If you notice any abuse of the rating system or comments on the photo please email abuse@photo.net.</i>

</p>

Well, thankyou all for your response. Looks like overwhelming support. Just thought I might have been overreacting, but I felt that requesting to be given only 6's and 7's must surely skew the ratings, whether you agree with the system or not. If the lowest ratings I got were 5-4 I'd be pretty happy. What really got my knickers in a twist was being accused of dishonesty.