Is OSS necessary/helpful on an a6500?

otislynch

I just bought a new a6500 body after using a NEX-3c since its introduction. My 18200 and pancake prime are fine, but I’m thinking about one of the new Tamron e-mount zooms because both the 18-200 and the longer one are much smaller than my 18200 - and the ones with no form of VC or OSS are a lot less expensive. Any input into the value of VC / OSS on top of the in-body stabilization in the a6500? Thanks!

OSS works in conjunction with IBIS. OSS is more effective than IBIS against tilt and yaw motions, particularly with longer focal lengths. IBIS is more effective against rotational rotational and translational motion. With IBIS alone, correction is noticeably less effective at 85 mm, at the pixel-peeping level, but still good enough for government work. I've used IBIS only at 1/15 second and 300 mm, bracing myself on a fence or doorpost. At 1/60, you don't need to brace yourself.

Thanks, Ed -

As my 18200 has OSS, I’ll stick with it for now. We’re off to Santiago & Mendoza in 2 weeks, and I don’t want to make a hasty decision just to save $200. I shoot a lot in dark clubs at the 200 end of the zoom, and your response suggests that I’ll be happier with OSS in an even longer lens. So far, I love the a6500!