Is Lightroom 6 worth the Mac OS upgrade?

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

I am running an iMac with the Mavericks OS. My photo editing software is LR5. This setup is doing all I need so I really have no complaints.</p>

<p>Recently I started wondering if maybe I shouldn't upgrade to LR6 before Adobe makes it part of the CC and I'm forced to pay $9.99 forever to use the software. When I went to see if the software worked with Mavericks, I found out no. I'd have to upgrade to the latest Mac OS.</p>

<p>See. Here's thing. I like Mavericks. It is stable. Does all I need it to do. And I absolutely <em>hate</em> being forced updates by Apple yearly. Before you know it your system is running at a crawl not because it is really that old and slow, but b/c Apple has pushed out OS updates that your system can't handle. Anyway...</p>

<p>My question really is this: Is LR 6 worth the hassle of upgrading my Mac OS? Or is this a case of "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it?".</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p> I have LR5 but the catalog thing is a pain. However I can work with it but I do not want another program. I am sure the LR5 is my last adobe product. I shoot B/W film so my editing is really very basic. Maybe about 1 minute or less and it's off to the printer and the job is done.</p>

<p>$10 a month for Lightroom isn't really the whole truth. For that, you get Photoshop, too. I do nearly all my processing in Lightroom, but, when I do go into Photoshop, what I'm doing there is very critical. It's as important to have the best software tools as it is to have the best camera and lenses. I acknowledge that "best" is a matter of opinion; for my purposes, my opinion is the only one that matters.</p>

<p>Anyway, if, for you, LR5 is "best", then you should stay with what you have.</p>

<p>Not that this applies to you -- I don't know anything about your equipment -- but I know lots of people who spend thousands on cameras and lenses, but would never pay $120/year for software. Seems silly to me.</p>

<p>>>> It's as important to have the best software tools as it is to have the best camera and lenses.</p>

<p>I disagree. Speaking for myself, having <em>the best</em> camera, lenses, or software tools has never been particularly important to my photography. I have an adequate camera (mostly my phone), and LR works just fine.</p>

www.citysnaps.net

<p>Lightroom is a product I use every day. Lenses don't degrade over (reasonable) time, but operating systems and expectations from software continually improve. I have two subscriptions for Creative Cloud - complete for my desktops, and PS/LR only for my laptops. The latter is worth every nickel, and $10/month is less than I would pay for sesquiannual upgrades. Adobe has dropped or will shortly drop further support for CS6 software. It's time to move on.</p>

<p>If nobody noticed, there were a lot of compatibility issues between Adobe and Sierra. These are mostly resolved now. Those with older OS systems and versions of CS/CC are left in the cold on two fronts.</p>

<p>I have Elements 10 and LR5 and use them both. If I had to choose only one program I would go with Elements 10 as the dust tool is better, the crop tool is better and you do not have to use catalogs at all. . The LR5 basic panel has a couple things about that I like.<br>

However the bottom line is I have purchased my last editing tool. I doubt I will need another used camera or lens in my life. I did just buy a new printer which is very nice. I bought the Canon IP8720. My Artisan 50 started printing purple highlights and so I canned it. It worked fine for quite a long time however. The Canon has that grey cartridge and it prints dead on to my monitor so I am excited about that. </p>

<p>Anyway I plan on spending up to $300.00 on film, chemicals this year. </p>