Is it worth the cost to repair film advance mechanism for Mamiya 6?

joseph_s2

<p>I read somewhere that the Mamiya 6 cameras have a common flaw in the film advance mechanism. And I finally have experienced this first hand. I am no longer able to advance the film. Its basically broken.<br>

I submitted my camera to a local repair facility and they quoted my a price. It isn't exactly a cheap repair, maybe a bit cheaper than buying a new camera body of the same type. <br>

However I was wondering if it is worth it to repair it, because I'm worried the film advance mechanism will break again, since this is indeed a common problem with this camera model. <br>

Does anyone here have any experience with this?<br>

Also does Mamiya 7 also have this problem? </p>

<p>I have read that there is a shortage of parts for the often-documented winder failure. Maybe this repair shop can obtain the parts. Maybe they're just hoping that they can.<br>

I have not experienced this fault. My guess is that it would feel like slipping/grinding plastic gears not working properly (total guess on my part).<br>

There is another fault that can prevent winding which is repairable. It is an interlock magnet. I wrote a post on this years ago.<br>

http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/008QDh<br>

It's a spare body and I still haven't had it fixed.<br>

I assume that your body is second hand, so it can be hard to ascertain how much use it has had. Once it's fixed, and assuming that it seems in good condition otherwise, I'd be inclined to have the repair done and it will last you for years with a bit of luck.</p>

• 1 month later...
Ralph Lambrecht over at apug mentioned sending his to Germany for factory svs - was quite happy w/ result (focus calibration, I think), and mentioned it was quite reasonably priced for svs. I covet Mami 6, but have been scared of transport issues.

• 3 weeks later...