Is it worth it?

janicem

<p>HI! I broke my Canon Rebel T1i LCD screen/cover (on the back).<br>

It's cracked.</p>

<p>Just sent it off for the estimate to get it fixed by Canon - $250!<br>

YIKES! Is it worth it?<br>

The LCD screen did still work - just had a star shaped crack on the glass.</p>

<p>THANKING you in advance for your advice/information! Thanks!</p>

<p>Two years ago I sent a camera back to Canon for repair and faced the same dilemma. I traded my camera to Canon for a refurbished model with a guarantee. Ask Canon if they still have this practice. That turned out to be the best option for me. I was dealing with the New Jersy repair center.</p>

<p>No, it's not worth it if the camera still operates normally. I'd either add on a clear screen protector (they just stick on), or I'd get the part from Canon and replace it myself. Failing that maybe a local camera repair store would do it for you cheaper than Canon. Shouldn't take them more than 15 minutes. The rear screen protector is just stuck on as far as I know. The only difficulty is in pulling the old one off. At least that's true for older models. Not 100% sure it still applies to the T1i, but as far as I know it does.</p>

<p>Are you sure the Canon price is for replacing the LCD screen cover not replacing the actual LCD itself? $250 seems like a lot, even for Canon. I'd have guessed they'd have charged the usual ~$100 minimum, since it's a 10 minute job that doesn't require they take the camera apart. If they are going to replace the LCD itself, then $250 would be a reasonable charge since the LCD costs more plus you have to take to camera apart to get to it to change it.</p>

<p>Hi Janice,</p>

<p>Th lcd panel itself is located behind a plastic glass , If the panel is broken , It would show black ink-like image even when the camera is not on.</p>

<p>But if the outer glass cracked it would be relatively easy to replace and you can find replacement on ebay.<br>

I already found one.<br>

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-EOS-REBEL-T1i-LCD-WINDOW-AND-TAPE-NEW-REPAIR-PART-/330464293084?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item4cf134f0dc</p>

<p>Here is the estimate I received from Canon: <br>

(Plus an additional $21.+ for shipping)<br>

EQUIPMENT SHOWS VISIBLE SIGNS OF IMPACT TO BACK COVER. CHECK ALL<br />FUNCTIONS, > REPAIR TO GOOD WORKING ORDER. PLEASE RESPOND TO ESTIMATE.<br />><br />> Flat Rate Repair Charge (Parts & Labor Included)<br />><br />> $ 210.00<br />><br />> *Service / Work Type:* Charge , Repair><br />><br />> Sales Tax $ 15.33<br />><br />> *Equipment Received:* EOS REBEL T1I</p>

<p>Ummmmm..........I guess their flat rate repair went up! The total is nearly $250.00.<br>

I did email them back to ask for details about the cost and also the loyalty program but<br>

they want me to call them rather than email about it. So that's my next step. </p>

<p>THANKS again to all for your help! I sincerely appreciate it VERY much!</p>