Is it true that camera gear is duty exempt coming into canada from US

chris_gaetz

have it sent via US Mail as with the Post office you will be least likely to have to pay duty from what I hear buying and selling to Canada on ebay and through my camera collector groups. AVOID UPS and Fed EX as they can charge a duty fee that is not really even owed.

Chris,

Photographic equipment is duty free in Canada if imported from the USA. I have purchased dozens of photo items (lenses, cameras, misc. accessories, etc.) over the past couple of years and have never paid duty. I would expect video cameras to fall under the same or similar classification. You could contact CCRA to make sure (1-800-461-9999). You will most certainly have to pay sales tax (7%GST,PST,15%HST depending on where you live), plus a $5 handling fee if importing via USPS/Canada Post. As Mark has suggested, avoid UPS/FedEx ground services like the plague unless you want to get hit with bogus and excessive "customs clearance fees".

Mike

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">

<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">

<title>New Page 1</title>

</head>

<body>

<p>Camera equipment (including digital and video) is exempt from duty no matter which country it is imported from.</p>

<p>You can find the tariff rates on almost anything here:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/general/publications/tariff2003/table-e.html">http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/general/publications/tariff2003/table-e.html</a><br>

<br>

However, if your goods are shipped by ground, expect to get charged duty (and brokerage) regardless. The morons that work for the ground shipping departments of companies like UPS charge whatever they feel like, and you have no choice but to pay if you want the package. If they do charge you duty when they shouldn't, you can request a refund of the extra charges from the CCRA, but it can be a lengthy process.<br>

<br>

Paying a few dollars more up front for air shipment will almost always cost less (usually, a lot less) in the end than ground shipping (unless you're talking about using the post office).</p>

</body>

</html>

Some of you are mixing up the terminology. There are three fees you might pay when importing a package:

- brokerage fee or service charge: a fee to cover the paperwork for importing the package. applicable if any duty or taxes are owing at all. Canada Post, e.g., charges $5.

- duty: a form of tax designed to dissuade importation of certain goods in place of consuming domestic goods. For example, Japanese automobiles are subject to a duty when imported into Canada.

- tax: in this context, a sales tax that is normally applied on goods sold domestically but also applies to imported goods. This is what you are usually paying when you import. You would pay these taxes if you bought the same goods at your local camera store. These are your provincial sales taxes (Alberta of course has none) and the federal GST, or the harmonized tax (HST) if you have one instead.

Photographic equipment is duty-free in Canada because Canada does not have a photographic industry per se. There is no Canadian industry to protect.

Goods manufactured in the US and Mexico are not subject to any duty (not merely goods sold there; they can be bought from any country if they were made in the US or Mexico, and foreign goods bought from the US or Mexico are still potentially dutiable). They are still subject to taxes.

On photo gear you will pay a brokerage fee and PST/GST or HST. If you pay duty you should appeal.

"<i>On photo gear you will pay a brokerage fee and PST/GST or HST. If you pay duty you should appeal</i>"<p>

UPS Air shipments (Express and Expedited) do not incur any handling fee or brokerage fees of any kind - they only collect the appropriate taxes (GST/PST or HST).

<p>

UPS Ground (also called UPS Standard), all FedEx services, and the post office all charge a handling fee and/or brokerage charges.

No duty, always tax (unless value is less than $50), but brokerage charges vary. Have it shipped by USPS (insured) so it comes through Canada Post. Never have somethng shipped UPS if you have a choice - brokerage charges are extremely high - example being a C$400 value strobe was charged about C$40 brokerage along with 15% tax.

Best to ask the shipper what charges they have at the moment. Stuff changes. Both Fedex Canada and UPS Canada used to have the info on thier websites. It was a pain to find but it was there. I assume it still is. You might try calling them but my expierence is finding someone who knows anything on the subject will be a chore. Nice thing about FedEx is they let you pick it up if they miss you. UPS ends up ruining your day. Or worse several days.

I used to use FedEx, but they only allow you a lifetime limit of three import shipments if the value is over US$1100. Luckily, B&H switched to UPS as their primary shipper just after I received my third, and last, shipment permitted by FedEx.

The difference in service is like night and day - UPS is cheaper, faster, and has a tracking system that actually works. And if they're late, the shipping charges are refunded! FedEx, on the other hand, seems to think that "customer service" is a four-letter word.

I've had no problems with USPS. FedEX lost a package and caused me grief getting that figured out. UPS was supposed to deliver me a package the Friday before a long weekend. The website claimed it was out on the truck to me. The call centre people said it was coming. It never showed. The driver claimed that nobody was home. Pure BS. Oh and the delivery time they give you is something like 8am to 8pm!!!. The package finally showed up Tuesday night. Costing me two full days of waiting. The FedEx tracking website actually shows what is going on. They just managed to lose stuff.

• 10 months later...

I just called Customs Canada. The lady says that for all camera gear, duty depends on where it was manufactured. If made in USA then no duty. Elsewhere, 5-8%

3 weeks ago, I phoned and they say no duty regardless of where it was made!

Can't get a straight answer. Assuming the first situation, I'm thinking of buyint Canon body and lenses from bhphotovideo. NOT the grey market ones. Does this mean they were manufactured in USA?

There is no duty on MOST cameras or lenses (single use cameras are subject to 5% duty) imported into Canada from the USA, regardless of where they are made.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/publications/tariff2004/tablewithamendments-e.html

35mm SLR's fall under tariff code 9006.51.10, and are shown as FREE in the "Customs Tariff Schedule".

35mm lenses fall under tariff code 9002.11.10, and are shown as FREE.

The regulations are so complex and convoluted that I'm not surprised you can't get a straight answer.

You WILL pay taxes however.

• 8 months later...
A friend is bringing a lens back to Canada for me ,from a shopping trip to Boston. The Tariff number listed above is still valid as of this date I just checked. What happens at the border? Is there a form that has to be filled out and this number put in, or?

A friend is bringing a lens back to Canada for me ,from a shopping trip to Boston. The Tariff number listed above is still valid as of this date I just checked. What happens at the border when crossing by car? Is there a form that has to be filled out and this number put in, or? I would like to make it as easy as possible for them.

Nova,

Your friend will have to declare the lens at Customs (now Canada Border Services) when he/she re-enters Canada, unless you want to take a chance and try to "sneak it in" (they will NOT be amused if it isn't declared and then discovered in a random search).

I am not sure of the forms to fill out at the border for a land crossing, since all of my visits to the USA were for business and I had "nothing to declare" when I came back across, but I doubt that it is very complicated. But knowing the correct tariff code will insure that the lens is properly classified as duty free (but GST/HST will be collected).

If your friend is flying back he/she will get a simple form to fill out on the airplane prior to landing to declare any "shopping goodies" (at least that was the case the last time I flew back to Canada from the USA, but that was before 9/11).

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/faqs-e.html

Appreciate you taking the time here. I ended up not getting them to get the above lens, as a new version is just coming out from Canon. In the end I purchased a 28-105 locally which I think is going to work out way better for me. This is still all good info to know though as I am probably looking at an L series next and our dollar makes everything south of us look very attractive right now. :) Good to see you by the way! Cheers Nova ~